Powercoating and bike builds scotland

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I am looking to get my Norco powdercoated however would prefer whoever does it for me to do the stripping of the kit and to rebuild it after.

I have seen a few in Englandshire that does this but none in scotland any one know of any.

Im just worried ill muck it up, or the other option put it to a bike shop to strip it first?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    piss easy to strip most of the bike apart TBH - somethings are more difficult because they require tools but you should be able to remove most things then get a shop to remove the rest. pretty sure there are a few shops that do the whole shabang (they send the frame off for re colouring). where have you tried here?

http://www.shandcycles.com
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Much better to strip it down before posting it, then you can check all the components are fit for re-use.

Most coaters cover a range of industries and are unlikely to be interested in taking a bike apart.

Worst case is discuss with a decent LBS to do the strip and rebuild for a fixed cost - they'll probably be interested as most offer a full strip and rebuild as their top level service and they can also identify which components they may be able to justify convincing you you need to buy as not worth fitting in the 'new' frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    It is easy to take the components off a bike and it would seem that it might be easy to reassemble after it is coated. The most likely screw up is with the gear / brake cables where incorrectly siting them may add cable tension which could affect shifting. Maybe the post mountings for the hydraulic brake callipers need some skill but overall if I were you I'd get the bike shop to strip / service / rebuild. Then you can go back to them if needed.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: