New Garmin 820 with a ride from Italy on it.

banditvic
banditvic Posts: 549
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Just purchased a New Garmin 820 from Cycle Store UK plugged it into the computer and up comes a ride in Italy from the 10th August.
Next question should I send it back or keep it.

Comments

• banditvic wrote:
    Just purchased a New Garmin 820 from Cycle Store UK plugged it into the computer and up comes a ride in Italy from the 10th August.
    Next question should I send it back or keep it.

Depends, how many KOM's will it bag you?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • That depends if you hot it in their pricing faux pas on Saturday of not :D
  • Yes did get it cheap but wasn't expecting a refurbished one.
    No KOM's either, average power 69w think he needs to train more.
  • Think i'd send it back
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Depends on how much you're prepared to rock the boat against the deal you got. If it's the same as mine, I'd be quietly fuming but happy to have a sizable wedge of dosh still in my pocket...
  • If it's used, it's not new - send it back with a short sharp note. Surely it was obvious it wasn't new even before you plugged it in - protective cover on the screen for instance? Official Garmin refurbs come in different packaging - plain white box I think and have a different serial number - if it is a refurb then this should have been clear when it was offered (with a suitable cost adjustment). Just looked at their prices and they're not remotely competitve.
  • It was £247 on Saturday when I purchased it.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Send it back. Clearly bought and used for one ride and sent back. Not good enough.
  • Anyone who has had a faulty Garmin, usually a week after the warranty expires wouldn't accept this
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Got in touch with Garmin they said it shouldn't have happened, then got in touch with shop they said I could have my money back or £100 refund.
    Have gone with the refund.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Got in touch with Garmin they said it shouldn't have happened, then got in touch with shop they said I could have my money back or £100 refund.
    Have gone with the refund.
    Result. Garmin Edge 820 for £147!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Anyone who has had a faulty Garmin, usually a week after the warranty expires wouldn't accept this

But surely with someone else having used it for a week or so and the warranty starting with the new purchase date, that unit would then go faulty just within the warranty - so that would be a plus point!
  • i had similar with a edge touring from halfords.

had reserved & went to collect a ex display unit.

when i got there i was informed the battery was goosed & thus they would do me a new one without the heart rate monitor for the same money - still a good discount overall - was not planning on using said strap anywhoo so why not.

got the "NEW" unit home & found it had the seals opened on exterior box & main unit box inside ( the accessories & out front mount boxes were still sealed ) - but everything else in good condition as you would expect of new - thought what the hell & fired it up after bunging it on charge for a while & found it had a couple of local loops stored in a town a few miles away in the other direction to myself from the store it came from dated back about 4 or 5 months from my purchase date - was not impressed at this but tried out the unit anyway & it was poop, basically every time i plugged in the unit to my PC it wanted to update the maps on the unit & after the 3rd try i'd had enough & returned the unit - they said instore when i mentioned that the seals were broken that they had simply taken the unit out to inspect it - they had no answer for the nearby loops stored in its memory & quickly swapped it for a fully sealed unit ( which also went back for the same reason as the 1st the following week even after trying on a few work PC's too to rule out my pc causing the trouble )
  • You rejected it because there was a map update to download?
  • You rejected it because there was a map update to download?

with 2 car satnavs with lifetime maps ( so 4 a year ish - tomtom at least, not had the garmin a year yet so only done 2 so far ) i dont have a problem with the occasional map update on the edge units, but i do have a problem of after nearly a week of trying with the 2 units they still demanded to be updated every time they were connected.

this involved a 7gb download & install EVERY time meaning a good few hours per time minimum, each & every time it said completed OK, but unplug the device & plug it straight back in again & it demanded to be updated yet again to the very same stuff it had just supposedly downloaded & installed, also i forgot to mention, neither unit would upload ANY ride data on them - mine or the previous owner of the 1st unit, it said the sync had been completed BUT nothing appeared online ( ok, we are only talking the loss of a couple of short rides here from testing the units out but still ontop of the map issue it was the last straw for the tourings ) - rides on the 200's & the 810 i have all sync'd fine & the 810 also updates its map from time to time without trouble too.
  • Actually in GarminExpress once a map update download to your computer has happened and if you subsequently somehow don't complete the update on the unit (or you present it a second unit of the same type) GarminExpress doesn't redownload the data... it only rebuilds the map to transfer to the unit & initiates the transfer... unless you actively seek out and delete the downloaded (now cached) map update files from your computer.

I'm the last man to defend the hideous GarminExpress software - but that's what it does, not redownloading every time although it typically says it is downloading (as it builds the map from the downloaded files)
  • well whatever it was doing it took several hours to download &/or process & then transfer to the device & then as mentioned unplug & plug back in & it wanted to be done all over again & again & again & again etc.

only the 2 tourings had this trouble

as mentioned same software & a car garmin updates fine ( well 3 actually - only 1 mine though so the other 2 dont get updated as often ) & a edge 810 also updates fine & the 3 edges i have other than those tourings all sync fine too.

either way, the store in question did not loose the money i had spent with them as i got it refunded back as a voucher instead of cash & about 3 weeks later used that voucher as a dipper on another bike from em so ended well in the end :D