Suspension setup

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited December 2016 in MTB beginners
After bit of guidance...

Fox 34 Rhythm 150mm on front and Fox Float 140mm on back...

I've read both Fox manual and the manual that came with my bike and they're a bit different e.g. Fox suggests 20-25% sag and Giant manual suggests 35-30% sag.

One suggests starting with rebound at half way and going from there the other suggests turning it fully on and for my weight going 5 clicks off.

Any suggestions on where to start is best as conflicting advice is confusing me.

I've been told to start with bodyweight in psi and then some say 60% bodyweight in so that's a big difference!

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wqould start at 25% - 30% and see what works for you.

How many clicks does the rebound have. If it's around 10 it's the same thing anyway.

I start in the middle and work from there.

I would go with the Giant manual as they designed the suspension.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    cooldad wrote:
    I wqould start at 25% - 30% and see what works for you.

How many clicks does the rebound have. If it's around 10 it's the same thing anyway.

I start in the middle and work from there.

I would go with the Giant manual as they designed the suspension.

Thanks. Shock has 12 clicks, fork has 21.

I'll go with Giant manual.

Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Go with the Giant manual. Sag is specific to the frame rather than the shock.
    There's a excellent suspension set up guide on thr Cane Creek website. Although it's written for their shocks it's really quite generic to any suspension and goes through a methodical route to get spot on settings.
  • concorde
    Go with the Giant manual. Sag is specific to the frame rather than the shock.
    There's a excellent suspension set up guide on thr Cane Creek website. Although it's written for their shocks it's really quite generic to any suspension and goes through a methodical route to get spot on settings.

Top man, will have a read now
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    for rebound you can start by riding off a curb and adjusting the rebound till you no longer pogo.
    air pressure/volume reducers will depend on your riding style/trails you ride. Transition advise 35% for their patrol/suppressor but I run 30%.
  • As cooldad told you start with 25-30% sag, it would be good for this type of bike and see what is your feeling. For the rebound start from the middle of the range and after that this recomendations would help you.
    - If you feel the bike slow in hard cormers, open rebound 1 click or add 5 psi and repeat
    - If you feel that bike push you from rear side in jumps, close rebound 1-2 clicks and repeat
    - If you feel that bike is very soft when you are pedaling in open mode position add 5 psi and try again