Size advice - 2016 Focus Cayo Disc Ultegra

Chavanel
Chavanel Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
First of all, I would like to thank everyone who is able and willing to help me with the below question.

I am 180 cm tall and my leg size is 82.5 cm. My arms span is 179 cm. I am currently riding a Scott Speedster S20, with 12 cm long stem and 1 cm increased handlebar. I am about to buy a Focus Cayo 2016 Disc Ultegra, however cannot decide between M and L sizes. I tried to ride both a bit around the bike shop. I certainly feel M is easier to handle than L, however I am afraid that on longer rides, M could be too small for me. I do around 4,000 km a year, mainly consisting of rides between 40 and 90 km, however I also do a few long rides of 120 km +, for which I would need to feel comfortable on the bike.

I made a comparison of geometry between my current Scott Speedster and both, M and L Cayos. What I realized is the following:
- Scott has 2 cm longer seat tube (56 cm) than Cayo M (54 cm) and 1 cm shorter than Cayo L (57 cm).
- Scott has 2.5 cm longer head tube than Cayo M and 0.5 cm longer than Cayo L. However on Scott I have 1 cm ring under the handlebar, while Cayo M that I tried had cumulatively 3 cm of rings under the handlebar, making an effective difference in comparison to Cayo M of 0.5 cm.
- Scott has 8 mm longer top tube than Cayo M and 9 mm shorter one than Cayo L.
- Scott's chainstay is 1 cm shorter than the one of both M and L Cayos.
- Scott's wheelbase is 3 mm shorter than the one of Cayo M and 1 cm shorter than the one of Cayo L.
- Scott's reach is 3 mm shorter than Cayo M and 1.3 cm shorter than Cayo L.
- Scott's stack is 3.7 cm longer than Cayo M stack and 1.5 cm longer than Cayo L stack. This seems to be the biggest difference of all measurements, also in percentage terms. Is that a potential issue or just mainly a consequence of a difference in head tube?
- Fork length is the same on all 3 bikes.
- Scott's stem is 12 cm long, while Steam of Cayo M was 10 cm long.

Considering the above, I am leaning more towards Cayo M. However I want to be sure that, for example, big difference in stack or any other difference between the bikes doesn't make that bike a clear no-go for me and I should not waste money on it. I would really appreciate your help with that. Please note that the shop doesn't offer a specific measurement of my body and advanced advice in this respect. I am aware of the fact that this is probably what should I have done before purchasing a bike, however let's consider I did not do it and try to base the advice on the data I can provide on my own.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• I've just brought a Focus Cayo ultegra mix 2016 in 'Medium' and I'm 170 cm short. My inseam is 80 cm. That's fine for me without being too agressive. I would think the 'Large' would be better for you. Can you offer you current bike up along side the Cayo, see just where the differences are and if they can be adjusted out? Or better still do as I did and have a quick mini bike fit, it took 10 mins to again see if its going to work with a proper fit.
  • I recently bought the tiagra equipped disc version. I'm 186cm and opted for the XL, as I am longer in the torso. I'd probably go for L if I were you.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    I'm 177cm with 79cm inseam and have a medium and it is spot on. I think a large would be better for you.
  • Thank you all for your responses. PK1, if you say it is spot on for you, why would you so quickly decide L would be a better fit for me? Usually rider height buckets spread around 7-8 cm, so if you are spot on, I'd assume there is still 3-4 cm of maneuver space on each side and can be (in simplified terms of course) said that M fits people between 173-181 cm tall? Of course it depends on other factors and personal preferences as well.
  • I'm on a medium at 180cm tall. I also have a 2013 large Cayo. For me the medium is the more comfortable ride but as you say, it's down to personal preference.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Chavanel wrote:
    Thank you all for your responses. PK1, if you say it is spot on for you, why would you so quickly decide L would be a better fit for me? Usually rider height buckets spread around 7-8 cm, so if you are spot on, I'd assume there is still 3-4 cm of maneuver space on each side and can be (in simplified terms of course) said that M fits people between 173-181 cm tall? Of course it depends on other factors and personal preferences as well.

You asked for advice and opinions and 3 posters have suggested the L size may be better for you. You then challenge the opinion of one implying that he has plumped for an L based on his ownership of an M and his own height and inside leg stats.

In this situation all you can rely on is opinions. Nobody is going to be able to give you a cast iron guarantee.

Received wisdom is that if you are unsure about two sizes then go for the smaller since it is easier to adjust up in size than down.
  • arlowood wrote:
    Chavanel wrote:
    Thank you all for your responses. PK1, if you say it is spot on for you, why would you so quickly decide L would be a better fit for me? Usually rider height buckets spread around 7-8 cm, so if you are spot on, I'd assume there is still 3-4 cm of maneuver space on each side and can be (in simplified terms of course) said that M fits people between 173-181 cm tall? Of course it depends on other factors and personal preferences as well.

You asked for advice and opinions and 3 posters have suggested the L size may be better for you. You then challenge the opinion of one implying that he has plumped for an L based on his ownership of an M and his own height and inside leg stats.

In this situation all you can rely on is opinions. Nobody is going to be able to give you a cast iron guarantee.

Received wisdom is that if you are unsure about two sizes then go for the smaller since it is easier to adjust up in size than down.
    I challenged the opinion of one since PK1's height and inseam was the closest to mine at that time and due to the fact he mentioned it fits him perfectly. It wasn't even really a challenge, more like a question whether in his opinion there is some space still to adjust the bike for a slightly taller person.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion as well.