Oval chain ring... is it worth it... pros and cons

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I've been looking at swapping out my Race Face Turbine Cinch, 32T for an oval boost version but not sure if it's worth it.

As I'm new to mtb(4 months ish) I find that hills are a killer but this is down to fitness and also as I'm still a little nervous on some trials I seem to lose grip on some step inclines which stalls me.

Would an oval help with this? Having more efficient up hill slog will help me enjoy the rest of the trial as I'm not going to be as knackered. Also increase confidence as I should have more traction on slow technical up hills.

But... I've head that it's weird and your chain can come off more. I've never had a chain come off yet and I have been doing the 2 and 3 dots at FOD. Having a chain come off would probably kill a bit of confidence so really do t want this to happen.

Apart from obviously improving fitness I just want the up hills to be as easy and fast as possible. Will an oval chain ring help?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    No.

Proper training is what you need. Throwing a chain off is more hassle than the minute possible advantage of an oval chainring.

If you're fat - lose weight. If you're weak - train hard.

Simple.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Oval ring won't help you on the hills,that's fitness
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've got one. Pointless.
    Makes no noticeable difference.
  • More you ride the hills will get easier! Fitness and technique is the key.

My experience of an oval ring, there is no weird feeling in the pedal strokes and I've never dropped a chain (5/6 months).

After switching from round to oval I did notice I could be half way up the hill and change to a higher gear and still climb it no problem. The question is, is this down to oval ring or fitness??
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I'm on my second oval chain ring first was 32 oval on my 26er ht and now a 34 on my fs 29 and 11/36 cassette. I guarranty it won't help you climb easier, stronger legs will, the only noticeable difference was less strain on my knees, as far dropping a chain the absolute black chain rings I used both did a pretty good job keeping the chain where it should be and durability is exceptional, the 32T currently is on a friends bike and still works great even after so much use.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    If you're riding Swallowvallets at the FoD you won't make any improvements in fitness by using the push-up track. Ride the Verderers to the top of Swallowvallets instead.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even the advocates of Ovals, using scientific data, only show a circa 0.5% improvement from an oval, if its the same price and you are changing the ring anyway, then maybe, as a stand alone upgrade, not worth it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my 32t oval rides like a 32t round up hill - what I do notice is that its smoother when you put the power down but no other difference.
  • Thanks for the info all. My chainring is almost new so no need to change it.

I think I'll stick to what I have and get the fitness up :)