Castelli perfetto gillet or long sleeve

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited November 2016 in Road general
I am thinking of purchasing a castelli perfetto gillet or long sleeve jacket but cannot decide which is going to be the most practical . I live in Bedfordshire so weather is not as harsh as other parts of the country. Ilike the idea of the long sleeved as it is probably easyier to manage ie merino base layer when cold and without when not so cold but not sure if it would end up spending more time on the hanger in the spring /autumn where as the gillet could be useful for these times. At 175 the long sleeve is quite a jump up from the gillet at 110 is it worth spending the money . Or should i go for the gillet and where nano flex arm warmers and or winter jersey underneath. Many thanks.

Comments

• What was your decision making process on posting this in 'Road General' rather than 'Road Buying Advise'?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Convertible jacket with removable sleeves?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    I am thinking of purchasing a castelli perfetto gillet or long sleeve jacket but cannot decide which is going to be the most practical . I live in Bedfordshire so weather is not as harsh as other parts of the country. Ilike the idea of the long sleeved as it is probably easyier to manage ie merino base layer when cold and without when not so cold but not sure if it would end up spending more time on the hanger in the spring /autumn where as the gillet could be useful for these times. At 175 the long sleeve is quite a jump up from the gillet at 110 is it worth spending the money . Or should i go for the gillet and where nano flex arm warmers and or winter jersey underneath. Many thanks.

I've got a Fawesome gilet, which is similar. The two you mention are for different conditions really. I find the gilet is good worn with a warm long sleeve jersey for dry rides if working hard down to about 5 deg C and good over a jersey +/- arm warmers at 8-12 deg C or so. I also like it in rain in this range as long as I'm working becuse it'll keep you warm. For steady rides below 8, risk of rain, or quick proper cold rides I'd imagine that the jacket would be best.

I tried on the jacket last week and it is really nice. I'm saving my pennies.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    GrenW wrote:
    Convertible jacket with removable sleeves?

Good shout. I would also throw the Alpha wind jersey (long sleeved, a light jacket really) into the equation. Versatile, and last years can be found for just over £100.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I have a Perfetto short sleeve which covered off most issues for me when worn with some waterproof arm warmers.
    The Gilet would likely be more useful but, if you don't have to have castelli something like this would probably be more practical when coupled with a base layer. same wind stop material, waterproof but the sleeves come off so you can put them in your pocket.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... le-jacket/
  • Convertible. They rock.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I'd go for the gillet, you'll be wearing it much more and you can use the £65 to buy warmers and a base layer for when it gets proper cold..