Rear derailleur adjustment

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited November 2016 in MTB beginners
Event all, a bit of advice if you could.

Fell off the other week & the rear derailleur took the brunt of it, it was knocked in towards the cassette resulting in if I changed up to the big cog, it goes over into the spokes.... So I refrained from doing that!

Thinking back to my youth, I've just used a few turns the "low adjustment" to bring the derailleur cog in line with the big cog on the cassette, changing through the gears holding the wheel aloft it seems to have worked.

I've just watched a couple of vids and it appears I should have losened the cable, set the high adj, then the low then tensioned it all back up.

Have I ballesd it all up or can I get away with my rudimentary fix?...

It's a spam x9 with a 10 speed cassette if it makes any odds.

On s seperate note, there is a strange lock button on my derailleur, what on gods earth is this? :shock:

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I'm no expert but if it works then it works! You may have bent the hanger in which case you may need a new one.

The button holds the derailleur open so the chain stays loose and you can get the wheel on/off easier. Open derailleur out and push button, it will stay open.
  • JGTR wrote:
    I'm no expert but if it works then it works! You may have bent the hanger in which case you may need a new one.

The button holds the derailleur open so the chain stays loose and you can get the wheel on/off easier. Open derailleur out and push button, it will stay open.

WOW that button sounds amazing, shame I've never read the instructions as I've already done around half a dozen rear punctures and had it off for cleaning.... I trust it releases easily enough?

Don't think the hangar is bent from a visual inspection but the proof will be in the pudding I suppose!

Thanks for the info.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Yep just flick derailleur forward and it'll release automatically
  • This must be one of the best inventions ever, think I need to remove my rear wheel for no apparent reason :D
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If the rear mech started hitting the spokes after the crash I'd say you have bent the hanger.
    A knock to the mech should not result in any adjustment to the shifting unless something is bent.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    If the rear mech started hitting the spokes after the crash I'd say you have bent the hanger.
    A knock to the mech should not result in any adjustment to the shifting unless something is bent.

I'm worried now, time for an examination... Id say the jockey ring was about 3-4 mm out of line with the inner ring of the cassette.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It will only take 5 minutes to remove the hanger and check it.
    What bike is it? It's always a good idea to keep a spare hanger. They are designed to be sacrificial and bend easier than the frame or mech.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    It will only take 5 minutes to remove the hanger and check it.
    What bike is it? It's always a good idea to keep a spare hanger. They are designed to be sacrificial and bend easier than the frame or mech.

Btwin rafal 740.

Visually it looks straight , think I need a little test ride before I begin on a a full panic!