Under BB cable protection?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Just cabling up a titanium Kinesis Gran Fondo V3 and am unsure about the internal cable routing near the bottom bracket.

Should the inner gear cable be left bare like this? The exit holes aren't huge so I guess you wouldn't use ferrules or anything similar but what about:

"Under BB cable routing tubes - help to route front and rear derailleur cables under the BB"

These came with the frame but I'd assumed they were just to help thread cables and would then be removed but should they be used to prevent the inner cable rubbing on the frame, potentially damaging both?

Would they be left on as the cable goes through the cable guide and is that going to mess up shifting? External routing or eTap for me next time.....

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Use the black tubing, this is how it's done on a Colnago C60!

303863d1424593877-how-not-problem-1393868823075-kbcm4c2ja5wy-700-80.jpg
  • Many thanks for that. Is it a bit of a lousy design that I have to run these? Not convinced the benefits of internal gear cabling outweigh the drawbacks.....
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Many thanks for that. Is it a bit of a lousy design that I have to run these? Not convinced the benefits of internal gear cabling outweigh the drawbacks.....
    Couldn't agree more. I think that the mfrs. are convinced that internal routing is a selling point as it's constantly raved about in magazine tests and what not. I say contact Kinesis (and other mfrs. for that matter) and let them know you prefer outer cable routing . I understand there are some people who prefer the looks or whatever but functionally internal cabling is a fail due to more friction, internal-unaccessible guides coming loose, more holes in the frame for moisture to get in and the ridiculous difficulty (some frames more than others of course) of installing new cables.
  • Couldn't agree more. I think that the mfrs. are convinced that internal routing is a selling point as it's constantly raved about in magazine tests and what not. I say contact Kinesis (and other mfrs. for that matter) and let them know you prefer outer cable routing . I understand there are some people who prefer the looks or whatever but functionally internal cabling is a fail due to more friction, internal-unaccessible guides coming loose, more holes in the frame for moisture to get in and the ridiculous difficulty (some frames more than others of course) of installing new cables.

I had a DI2 Foil for a short while and could see the benefit as you can completely hide the wiring as it's all internal but I hadn't realised until now that mechanical cable goes into the down tube for a very short run and then has to pop out round the bottom bracket again. Pointless.

Confused though that there are so few comments/pictures about running these liners. How do other frames get away with not needing them?

Having said that, I do like internal rear brake cable routing as you can then hang a bike from hooks without scratching anything.
  • My last carbon framed road bike with internal routing had these liners for both gear cables ... and the one leading to the front derailleur was pretty critical as without it the cable would create a sawing action and start cutting into the carbon fibre (which it eventually when it wore out the liner - so something to keep an eye on, and consider replacing that short section at each cable change).
  • LV426
    LV426 Posts: 5
    Mine has the rear derailleur on the drive side of the BB but no ferules used. Cable came with Ultegra 6800 groups.

I am struggling to add an image to the thread but will try to work it out and post it.
  • Sorry, should have updated this. Kinesis advised I should use the tubing so a quick spot of re-threading and they're in.

Now just got to decide whether to go with dry lube or wax and find a way to mount lights without ruining the aesthetics. Being drawn into the murky audax world of mudguard mounted for the rear but a bit stuck on the front:

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13072802