Adjusting travel on 2017 rockshox recon silver

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all,

I'm posting this for a friend. He replaced his front shocks on his voodoo azian to these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod151097

We are trying to work out if we can adjust the travel to 120mm or more by changing the spacers.

Anyone have any info on this as I'm finding mixed info as to whether it will have a spacer which can be removed or we he need to replace the air shock for a longer one?

If anyone can help with some info and guid on how to that be great.

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Lookin at this for spare parts on Page 33 you will have Recon Silver 2016-2017, part position nr17 shows spacers, so I would say you can, to get more travel you just remove it.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.net ... ev_a_0.pdf
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    OEM forks often have simplified internals and cannot have travel adjusted.
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    I would just open them up to have a look.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seconded, open them up and see if there is a travel adjust spacer inside or not, if there isn't then it can't be adjusted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rauer
    Rauer Posts: 16
    Hi all, I'm his friend (he only had one and his wife pays me) I've been pretty busy with work so haven't had chance to do it yet however I have now received a couple of syringes some sram butter , just awaiting the 15wt oil which has been posted today (they sent be reverb oil by accident but I get to keep it-silver lining!) and the circlip pliers should be on there way too so hopefully I will get round to looking on Sunday (depending on how I'm feeling after saturdays Christmas party) any advice as this is all new to me , I am fairly hands on so I'm not too concerned
  • The Rookie
    Look at some YouTube videos, pick a good one, stick to one step at a time.

Each step is easy, don't look at the whole job, follow each step and nothing should go wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rauer
    well, i stripped it down this morning and rebuilt it, at first i didn't think it was going to be possible but after pulling on a few things to split it down more (hadn't read the instructions for the right year of fork!) i found the spacer and now back to 120mm of travel :D

image1_zps1lqwoxle.jpg
  • The Rookie
    I doubt that's 120mm travel, most forks leave 15mm of stanchion showing at full bump and you can see the ring from up the dust seal that's probably at full travel.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No, that will be 120mm travel. Most Rockshox forks have only 5mm more stanchion showing at full extension.
    The bump stop has 10mm of compression once it engages.
  • Rauer
    it definatly travels more, I'm just glad i managed to do it and thought i would post up my results incase anyone else ever wants to do the same
  • The Rookie
    No, that will be 120mm travel. Most Rockshox forks have only 5mm more stanchion showing at full extension.
    The bump stop has 10mm of compression once it engages.
    My 100mm SIDS have 112mm of stanchion showing at full rebound, but I'm glad it's worked out for rauer.