Bearing grease?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, want to Service my bearings and lube some new bearings, I have the red RockShox PM600 military grease? Will this do??

Cheers

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'd say yes, "PM600 is a heavy-duty, all-purpose lubricant manufactured specifically for bearings and open gears"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which bearings?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sealed bearings don't need any grease.
    They aren't serviceable. The best thing for them is to leave them alone until they wear out and then replace them.
    Just avoid jet washing etc.
  • JGTR
    FSR suspension bearings. I have replaced the main pivot bearings as they were worn and regreased all the rest including the BB bearings. It's quite common to regrease "sealed" bearings apparently, even brand new ones. The covers just pop off and easily go back on. I have a friend who races and they regrease bearings regularly. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother but as I had to strip the bike to replace the main bearings I thought I might as well - worth doing as some of the bearings, although not worn out, had hardly any grease in :shock:
  • JGTR
    Sealed bearings don't need any grease.
    They aren't serviceable. The best thing for them is to leave them alone until they wear out and then replace them.
    Just avoid jet washing etc.

I thought exactly the same until I serviced them.