Trail/AM Bike under 3000$

veagnox
veagnox Posts: 77
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys. Please list down your suggestions for AM capable Trail bikes (w/ 140 or 150 travel) or Pure AM/Enduro bikes (w/ 160 or 170 travel) that costs under 3000$/2750€/2500£ (excluding brands Giant & Yeti). Waiting for your replies

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't that a very similar question to this?

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=13072123&p=19994949#p19994949

And depends on what's available locally, or mail order, same as the other thread.

Yeti would not be my first choice, but what's wrong with Giant?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    veagnox wrote:
    The Commencal is a good bike. Nice ride

Thanks, I think I will go with Commencal Metam AM V4

Have you changed your mind?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about a Commencal Meta AM V4? Nice bike and in budget.
  • Thanks everyone for replies. I didn't change my mind and still love Commencal Meta AM V4 so bad, but I needed S frame and they are out of stock
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Nukeproof Mega 275?
  • rockmonkeysc
    doomanic wrote:
    Nukeproof Mega 275?

Nukeproof are expensive in US and some other countries.
    In some places they're more expensive than Santa Cruz.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I did not know that. It surprised me.
  • I want to cry whenever I see the word "Santa Cruz"... I'm in love with Bronson C S, but ofc, it's waaaaay far away from my budget
  • cooldad
    He's not in the US, per his other buying thread.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    veagnox wrote:
    I want to cry whenever I see the word "Santa Cruz"... I'm in love with Bronson C S, but ofc, it's waaaaay far away from my budget

Try riding one. They're nothing special and too short.
  • Some of you guys said that basic YT Capra AL model is bad, but, how about Capra CF Comp? Anyone tested? Specs are so good for 2999 euro, but I need opinion of someone who really tested it
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Capra CF rides exactly the same but slightly lighter and a lot weaker.
  • The Capra CF rides exactly the same but slightly lighter and a lot weaker.

Same as Meta AM? And what u mean by saying "a lot"? You say that YT carbon frame can be cracked any time or what?
  • cooldad
    No he's saying the Capra AL
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    No he's saying the Capra AL

Oh okay, but, are you guys sure that its frame is so weak?
  • cooldad
    Rockmonkey seems to be. I have no idea whatsoever.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know of a few people who have broken them. Warranty repairs are slow as well.
    It's a proper tank as well, why do you want so much suspension? It's more like a freeride bike than an enduro bike.
  • I know of a few people who have broken them. Warranty repairs are slow as well.
    It's a proper tank as well, why do you want so much suspension? It's more like a freeride bike than an enduro bike.

Yea it's 170/165 but wouldn't be so much problem for me, but ideally i want something between 150-160. Trek Remedy 8 has nice frame, suspension design but it's so expensive for components. You don't even get RTC3 but RC fork with 150mm travel. I think I must wait for Commencal 2017 models so maybe this time I can get S size from stock immediately
  • rockmonkeysc
    Trek rear suspension isn't for everyone, some people love it, others hate it. Get a test ride before buying a Trek.
  • Trek rear suspension isn't for everyone, some people love it, others hate it. Get a test ride before buying a Trek.

I did test ride with Trek Remedy 7 2017 model. Remedy 8 has same geometry/link as Remedy 7. The thing I don't like about Remedy 8 is you don't get good components for that price. For example rims/tires are bontrager, instead of enduro or trail ready spesific models from leader companies like WTB, Maxxis, Mavic or something like that. And even if bontrager is OK grade, I'm not happy that trek gives PIKE RC, but not the PIKE RTC3 for 3.3k$ model
  • cooldad
    Bontrager stuff is generally pretty good. Nothing wrong with the rims, and their Team Issue tyres are superb. My current Bontrager saddle is also the most comfortable I've ever had, and has taken over from Charge Spoons as my saddle of choice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Bontrager stuff is generally pretty good. Nothing wrong with the rims, and their Team Issue tyres are superb. My current Bontrager saddle is also the most comfortable I've ever had, and has taken over from Charge Spoons as my saddle of choice.

As I said, bontrager stuff can be ok, even can be superb. But why the hell 3.3k$ bike comes with RC instead of RCT3? Maybe some of you guys will say "it's okay", or something like that, but it really pisses me off
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Pike RC performs just as well as the RCT3 but lacks the climb/trail setting which, to be perfectly honest doesn't work properly anyway. If you run it in anything other than the fully open setting (which the RC is in as default) then the damping becomes crude and unresponsive so you may as well just have the RC. If you want decent compression adjustment then you need an Avalanche damper cartridge.
    With Trek you loose out on some components compared to ze germans but you gain decent UK backup and spares availability and one of the best warranties. You also get a frame develop on a budget several times what some manufacturers can spend.
    Bontrager rims are actually very good and are the same as some premium brand rims (I think it's WTB but not 100% sure) The Bontrager tyres are very good as well.
    I'm not a fan of Trek's rear suspension but I'd take a Remedy over a YT Capra.
  • The Pike RC performs just as well as the RCT3 but lacks the climb/trail setting which, to be perfectly honest doesn't work properly anyway. If you run it in anything other than the fully open setting (which the RC is in as default) then the damping becomes crude and unresponsive so you may as well just have the RC. If you want decent compression adjustment then you need an Avalanche damper cartridge.
    With Trek you loose out on some components compared to ze germans but you gain decent UK backup and spares availability and one of the best warranties. You also get a frame develop on a budget several times what some manufacturers can spend.
    Bontrager rims are actually very good and are the same as some premium brand rims (I think it's WTB but not 100% sure) The Bontrager tyres are very good as well.
    I'm not a fan of Trek's rear suspension but I'd take a Remedy over a YT Capra.

Thanks for help mate. If Meta AM V4 2017 series will not come within 2 months, I think I will go for Remedy 8