Advice Needed - Which Bike - Pre-Owned Ridgeback or wait and get new? New commuter has 1 week to d

r1180m
r1180m Posts: 11
edited November 2016 in Commuting general
I am hoping the experts in this forum can help me make a decision. I have a deposit on a light-moderately used bicycle at my LBS. I have 1 week to decide if I want to buy the second hand spend more and get a new one. So help - what do I do?

About me:
New cyclist - previously only cycled recreationally around flat coastal towns

Planned Use:
Not really sure yet how much I will use it but this is my vision/hope
In Central London
To get around to local shops or farmers markets and friends
Commuting 2-4 days per week; 7 miles one way; flat-ish route (kensington to brentford)
Park cycles for fun on weekends

Style:
Want upright ride style for comfort
Larger wheels for easier distance travelled
Like the aesthetic of the dutch/traditional/retro bikes
Prefer lighter weight (Within the style class) - so aluminum if possible?
Want to add front/rear baskets for parcels/bag/groceries

Won't be able to fit in an indoor parking area
Parking will be locked up outside

Price range - prefer to spend <£300 but would go to £350 if it was really justfied for good reason

Current Options I'm evaluating:

Ridgeback Avenida 3 - £140 - LBS - pre-owned - http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bikes/city/avenida/avenida-3
Raliegh Spirit - http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... 6&pg=17764
Pendleton Ashwell - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/c ... ybrid-bike
Pendeton somerby - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/c ... d-bike-red

Any Others I should consider??????
(FYI - Pashley - too expensive - and too heavy)

So, experts of this forum I plea to you ....What would you do?

Is the ridgeback suitable for entry given my planned use/parking situation?
Do I need more than 3 gears?
Am I going to regret the used and wish I had paid more for fully kitted new one?
Or will this do the job?
pros/cons?

Do I get the pre-owned ridgeback or wait and buy new?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Make sure it fits you, no point getting a 'bargain' 2nd hand bike that's sizes too big or small. Seeing as you're a new-ish cyclist, let the bike shop help with the fitting.

If the bike feels fine when you've done a test ride then buy it and enjoy it. Remember to budget for essentials - lights (2 front two rear) and decent lock (10% of the bike's value for example), helmet and gloves. If you;re parking it in a public place in London (or anywhere tbh) you may want to replace quick release bolts so that bits of your bike don't disappear.
  • r1180m
    Thanks for quick reply!

LBS agrees it actually fits; it is the same size I was looking at on the new bikes. Seems like maybe it's a good option?

I need to go do a test ride after work this week to be sure of comfort.

Just worried being new - I'll think a ride around the block feels fine! - and I won't realise I wish I had more gears or something. ....or maybe b/c I'm new I won't even know that I should be using different gears ;-)

Thanks for the tip on the kit. I set aside separate budget for the gear - figure I'll need to get my essentials no matter if I get the used or new.

Right now I'm leaning towards the pre-owned thinking it will be outside and I'm new at it so less to lose if something gets dinged/scratched...or stolen..... Also figure I could sell it off again if I start to use the bike more and more and move up.

Anything to know about the reliability of the make/models? They all seem to have decent reviews online. Anything to be mindful of?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If the second hand fits - then I'd try that. How long will a 7 mile commute take you ? And how come one way ?
    You've not really picked the right season to start commuting but if you can cope with winter the rest of the year will be a doddle.
  • r1180m
    Fenix wrote:
    How long will a 7 mile commute take you ? And how come one way ?

I will go both ways, definitely plan to go home from work! just figured I'd post as one way since that will be the length of each individual ride at a time.

...as for the winter start...meant to do it over summer! but rather than wait until the seasons pass, figured i'd give it a try! Nothing like baptism by fire!
  • r1180m
    r1180m wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    How long will a 7 mile commute take you ? And how come one way ?

oh and forgot - i'm guessing about 45-50 mins - tried a ride this sunday and was about 35 without traffic in good clear conditions.
  • craker
    I wouldn't worry about reliability - that's not something you really buy when the price goes up anyway.

Bikes are simple and your journey is short, if it breaks make sure you've a simple toolkit and some idea how to use it. (change an innertube being the most likely issue). If you can't fix it, push it home.

More expensive bikes tend to be lighter with better gears, on a commuter bike you'll get better tyres, better bearings and seals to stop the weather getting in.

Is it the £140 bike you linked to earlier? That's pretty near the bottom of the market, it should be solid and dependable without being a fun ride. I'd ignore the branding too as the wheels and gears will come from the same Taiwanese factories whichever frame it's on. As will the frame most likely.
  • r1180m
    craker wrote:
    Is it the £140 bike you linked to earlier?

Thanks for the advice.

Yes it is a used version of that model. Ridgeback Avenida - 3 gears.

Think I need more than 3 gears? will it do, or should I pay more to get 5 or 7? That's the only other key distinction I can think of beyond the parts/stickers as you say.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Personally I would go with he second hand bike, Ridgeback make good reliable commuters - my Ridgeback Speed is twelve years old, and is going ok, relegated to shopping duties now. The thing is you are very likely to want a better bike in the long run, and your likely to want a bike outside your current price range. So get the cheaper option now and over time think about what you will want from a decent bike in the long term.
  • craker
    r1180m wrote:
    Think I need more than 3 gears? will it do, or should I pay more to get 5 or 7? That's the only other key distinction I can think of beyond the parts/stickers as you say.

... although (and this is my final word on the subject ;-) ) the achilles heel of this bike will be the 3 speed hub gear. No experience with them myself, you get good ones and bad ones no doubt.

On the one hand they're weather proofed and don't need maintenance (yearly oil change?).

On the other, when it breaks you wont be able to fix it, the bike shop might (£££) or you'll need a new rear wheel with 3 speed hub gear (£££ +). It being a cheaper used bike this is what I'd be cautious of, though you've no way of knowing what state the gears are in.

Don;t let that put you off, it'll probably be fine. Just be aware that that's what the bike will die of in the future.