Tyre sidewall rip - when to replace?

papad
papad Posts: 23
edited November 2016 in Workshop
I noticed I've got a tear in the sidewall of my gp4000 tyre. It's only the outer portion of the carcass that is ripped, there's no hole straight through. The tube doesn't show but there is a noticeable bulge when the tube is fully inflated.

My question is how risky is it to run the tyre? Is there a good chance the tube might burst, or should it be ok? I'm not to keen for it to blow out on me.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dude - just change it now....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Errr.....
    GP4000s have a bit of a reputation for sidewalls blowing out. I can't tell you when it will blow or what probability there is it will blow on any given ride, but it will blow.
    If you're a gambler then I guess you could keep running it and see what happens...
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Fenix wrote:
    Dude - just change it now....

This... not worth the risk
  • fenix
    FWIW I've never had an issue with GP4000S - and they are my summer tyre of choice - but a dodgy sidewall needs replacing straight away.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,506
    Papad wrote:
    I noticed I've got a tear in the sidewall of my gp4000 tyre. It's only the outer portion of the carcass that is ripped, there's no hole straight through. The tube doesn't show but there is a noticeable bulge when the tube is fully inflated.

My question is how risky is it to run the tyre? Is there a good chance the tube might burst, or should it be ok? I'm not to keen for it to blow out on me.

I had exactly this problem on one gp4000 tyre of two that I bought from (I think) Chain Reaction. I noticed on the day I fitted them, called their customer service who asked for some photos. I sent them a couple of photos and they promptly replaced the whole order (i.e. two tyres not just the one with the bulge). No problems since and can only guess it's an intermittent fault.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Fenix wrote:
    FWIW I've never had an issue with GP4000S - and they are my summer tyre of choice - but a dodgy sidewall needs replacing straight away.
    Search the forum - lots of people have.

I ran them for 1000s of miles without issue but then one day this spring I was riding along obliviously when there was an almighty bang...
  • Ditto. Mine came in the middle of nowhere on a ride out in Portugal. Thank heavens for my cycling buddies 40+ a day habit, I used a big of fag packet card to stop the tube bulging out of it and got back to the villa.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • fenix
    bompington wrote:
    I ran them for 1000s of miles without issue but then one day this spring I was riding along obliviously when there was an almighty bang...

Yes but they are probably the most common tyre out there. Nobody reports something not happening...
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I had one go with a huge bang, fortunately I was near the top of a climb so going fairly slowly. Looked like someone had taken a small shotgun to the sidewall. I check my tyres before each ride and did not notice any damage, I also do not recollect hitting anything prior to the blow out. Still ride GP4000S in 25mm though as they are great tyres. Current sets have at least 1500 miles on them and are still looking good.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I tore the side wall on two GP4000's within a few weeks of each other. One tyre was brand new and has less than 100 meters (yes meters) use when I must have clipped a sharp stone and tore a 1cm hole in the sidewall. I patched the inside of the tyre with a puncture repair patch and put a self sticking Lifeline patch on top of that and then a strip of gorilla tape over the top of both, then I used Loctite 480 on the outer side of the tear. I'll use the tyre as a spare on the rear but for now its hanging in the garage.

A few weeks after that I was 2km from home after a 80km ride and heard a loud pop and the tyre deflated. I found a 1cm length tear in the sidewall. I called the missus that day to come rescue me as the new tube was bulging through the hole and would have popped easily as the tear was pretty close to the threaded contact section. I repaired the tyre in the same manner as above and it too hangs in the garage to be used as a spare only.

Ive done approx. 1000kms on the two replacement GP4000's and so far so good with no episodes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I recently had a brand new Pro4 SC go bang. Unfortunately I was descending at 33mph according to Garmin. Fortunately it was on the rear so I didn't stack it but wobbled to a halt. Big cut in the sidewall; had to boot it, under-inflate the spare tube, and ride very carefully home. Gutted that a tyre with less than 40 miles on it is now only fit for the bin.
    Then 3 weeks later the same happened on the front! Fortunately going uphill quite slowly, so again wobbled safely to a halt.

I'd like to think it's just random encounters with road debris; prior to that I'd had a couple of years on Michelins without any punctures, and 9 years in total on various tyres without a single sidewall cut. I did replace the badly cut Pro4 SC with a Pro 4 Endurance though...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You could fit a tyre boot made from bit of old tyre under the cut , & use it as rear tyre only.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Moonbiker wrote:
    You could fit a tyre boot made from bit of old tyre under the cut , & use it as rear tyre only.

I know some people will do this, but in my view any tyre which requires a boot to prevent the tube bulging is a get me home only. Even when used on the rear only it is still an accident waiting to happen, you can't guarantee when it will blow next time and I would not fancy it when rattling down a steep hill. But then my life is worth more to me than someone else, I'm quite attached to it.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Papad wrote:

Seriously??????
  • papad
    papad Posts: 23
    dennisn wrote:
    Papad wrote:

Seriously??????

Sure mate, that's why I asked.

As I said, there's no hole, just a rip on the outer part.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Papad wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Papad wrote:

Seriously??????

Sure mate, that's why I asked.

As I said, there's no hole, just a rip on the outer part.
    Seriously??????