Brand new supersix himod DA2 clicking on first ride

Timmyepp
Timmyepp Posts: 48
edited November 2016 in Workshop
On my first ride on this bike, about 30 km into it, it has started making a clicking sound when I push down hard on the left pedal. Always at exactly the same place in the pedal stroke, and only on the left side. Does not matter if I am sitting or standing, as long as it is under load, it clicks. I am pretty disapointed, as this started on my first time out since I bought the bike. Any suggestions before I bring it back to the LBS, it is a couple hours from where I live, so I was hoping for some advice before I make the trip.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    First elimate all other causes like shoes,pedals,cleats,computer cadence mounts,bottom bracket guides,skewers,outer cables rubbing

As its a brand new bike my advice is take it back as a first option before attemping any fix yourself. If its an issue with the bearings (poor installation) than that is up to them to make it right. And should not have to be fixed by you. Any tampering or visible damage to the bike could void the warranty and pass any blame on to you.

If you'd like go ahead save yourself the trip and you have a 10mm hex wrench and a Hollowgram removal tool.

I would try removing the crank and check the bearings by hand for any roughness. If they are smooth and seem ok. Try reinstalling everything with a thin smear of grease which may not have been applied at the factory. So apply to the spindle,bearings surfaces, shields,washers,wavy washer. And the crank bolt inner threads. and the crank arm surfaces. And also remove and grease the chainrings bolts.

If any of the bearings are indeed rough then i dont think there are any good options that doesn't involved replacing the rough bearing. Which isn't guaranteed to fix the clicking if its a much bigger frame/bb shell related problem. Better to take it back assuming the warranty isn't effected by the crank removal and inspection. Probably a good idea to speak to the shop before hand to see where you stand.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Pedal or pedal:cleat interface.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Thanks for the advice, I'll follow some of the suggestions and see what I can find. Also, the pedals / cleats just came off my old bike, and they never made a sound.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Did you grease the pedals when you installed them? That can make a bit of a creak too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • End of gear cable hitting drive side crank
  • Definitely check you cleats aren't slightly loose, this has caused my Supersix to click. I also had a bottle cage bolt work loose which caused a click.
  • So I re-installed the pedals, tightened my cleats, and the clicking did not go away...at first. After about 5 minutes of riding, all of the clicking went away. I rode for about 2 hours, did lots of climbing, etc, and it is totally silent.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I get a nasty click on my right cleat if its worn. Took me a while to work it out! At least it made me change the BB bearings (probably due anyway) and give the rest of the bike a good clean and regrease.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    End of gear cable hitting drive side crank

That was my first thought....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • There are so many things going on and forces acting on different parts of the system that it's very difficult to pin these things down. The only time I've had an issue directly related to the pedal stroke, it turned out to be the head set. Hopefully you've got it nailed now because it's irritating.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH