What size Cadd 12

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Went to Westbrooks last week tried a caad 12 in 54 felt ok they don't do test rides so not great in that area.
Back again yesterday to seal the deal as it were , no 54 on the shop floor but had a 52 , so here we go 52 was ok 54 ok , what to do now ?
I am 5ft 10 1/2 seat height is 720mm , suffer from back/, disc problems is this the bike for me ?
Any help with size,
regards
ILG

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    52? At least you will be showing pro levels of seatpost. Your back won't thank you for caad, though
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I wouldn't spend that much without a good idea of the setup I was after and doing a test ride to confirm.

Also if you have back issues the CAAD 12 is a stretched out head down racing bike rather than the more upright endurance style bikes which may suit you better such as the Synapse etc.
  • Thanks chaps.
    I was worried about the set up , looking for a bike with a bit more kick than my London Road for Sunday rides
    and some commutes.
    The LR is great for my daily slog to work but I have just done 4 hours up and down the North Yorks moors and it is like riding a tank.
    I had chance of a good deal on the caad 12 in a 54 and with it been cycle to work and a bit more money was very tempted ,as well as been bike of the year , are these all the reasons for not buying this bike ?
  • If you are 5ft10 I would say a 52 sounds small. You could probably almost go to a 56!

Do Paul's not have any good deals on caad12s?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    54 sounds right for you, I say crack on
  • Thanks for the replies chaps.
    Checked out Pauls and they do not have the 12 , 105.
    Seems to be a consensus that the 54 would be OK.
    I must admit I am very swayed by the "Bike of the year" tag.
    Does any one else favor well reviewed bikes ?
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I'm exactly the same height and found my old 54cm CAAD9 too small despite a 120 mm stem fitted. I have a 56 cm Supersix which is spot on.

In other words, spend some time (not five minutes!) trial riding both if you can?

Btw, the CAAD12 seems to be living up the hype, well, based on two anecdotal conversations I've had with riders who have owned carbon Cannondales - Synapse and Supersix.
  • I'm just over 5'11" and ride a 56 CAAD12 so I would say a 54 would be spot on or you could even get away with a 56 depending on your exact measurements. From memory form another thread, you went to GC earlier this year so no doubt you would have hired a Cannondale from Freemotion. What size did you hire there?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Just buy solboy's caad10 from classifieds here, it's 54cm and just as sweet
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

Start Cycles hAS the SuperSix Evo in Tiagra flavour for £799 - web only deal. Carbon flavour of the CAAD 12.

They have it in 54 (and 56) too.
  • I'm 5'10 33" inside leg and have a 54 and it is just big enough for me. Seat post and stem on the limit.
    I préfèr a smaller bike so went 54 but you could go 56

52 is too small
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Does he do cycle to work ? :D:D
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

Start Cycles hAS the SuperSix Evo in Tiagra flavour for £799 - web only deal. Carbon flavour of the CAAD 12.

They have it in 54 (and 56) too.

Flava flav.
  • dinyull
    ilovegrace wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Not that I'm trying to push this......start also do 0% finance for up to 18 months. You'd struggle to get the same deal on c2w.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Not that I'm trying to push this......start also do 0% finance for up to 18 months. You'd struggle to get the same deal on c2w
    Can not find the web site
  • reacher
    reacher Posts: 416
    I'm shorter and a 54 is right for me but I have extended the stem, 52 would be way small for me
  • kj00
    kj00 Posts: 15
    If you check geometry charts you will find that Cannondale do not refer seat tube CT lengt as "size", but more the top tube length. That is a valid approach, Sheldon Brown has an article on that as well. I am not sure 52 is small for you, I think the seat tube is longer in centimeters.
  • dinyull
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Not that I'm trying to push this......start also do 0% finance for up to 18 months. You'd struggle to get the same deal on c2w

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2016-super-6-evo-tiagra-mens-road-bike-black-bycdm6evostbbq.html?gclid=CPemlJ_pmNACFQcQ0wodW04Kgg
  • Dinyull wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    ilovegrace wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2016-super-6-evo-tiagra-mens-road-bike-black-bycdm6evostbbq.html?gclid=CPemlJ_pmNACFQcQ0wodW04Kgg
    Thanks for the link , looking right now.
    reghards
    ILG