Skewers for Titanium frames

LV426
LV426 Posts: 5
edited November 2016 in Workshop
I have recently purchased a Kinesis GFti V3 with rim brakes and put some new Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels on. The rear wheel was slipping out of alignment with the standard skewer (I think there was a plastic bit in the cam which wasn't hard enough to grip the Titanium) so I swapped for a higher spec Shimano one which has started to slip again. I'm not sure whether the wheels just a aren't hard enough to grip the inside of the frame or there's some other way to deal with it. I've contacted Fulcrum through their FB page and they aren't interested and did the same with Kinesis but haven't had a reply yet. Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Cheers

Comments

• Can't quite answer your question at the moment (My V3 build should be ready in a couple of days...) but, as someone else on here advised me, Kinesis are terrible at answering e-mails but responsive if you call them.

I was planning on getting some stupid carbon/titanium lightweight skewers for mine so interesting that you're having problems with much more substantial ones. Maybe a daft idea on my behalf.

I thought Shimano skewers were normally heavy but dependable?

Please can you post any advice you do get from Kinesis.
  • LV426
    I'll certainly share any info I get. A friend of mine has just got the disc brake version and he specced better wheels so will see if he has the same problem. My next option is to swap the wheels from my other bike which are Mavic Ksyrium Elites to see if they are any better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited November 2016
    Titanium is 'softer' than steel, there is no reason why skewers shouldn't work just fine in a Ti frame. As mentioned Shimano are amongst the best as they have an internal cam with better leverage ratio and less chance of crud getting in the way.

As its a vertical dropout frame I'm not sure how a wheel can slip out of alignment? It sounds like the wheel is narrower than the frame and not locating properly in the dropouts in the first place?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    If Shimano QR's are slipping I can only imagine that you need to do them up tighter, if that's possible.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I've got a Van Nicholas Yukon which is titanium. Wheels are Mavic Aksium Ones. Standard skewers which came with the wheels so far as I know (I bought it 2nd hand). No slippage at all that I'm aware of. I don't see why that would happen with titanium frames - I don't think it does.
  • Dropouts are not square.
    Build problem.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Dropouts are not square.
    Build problem.
    I agree that this sounds like the most plausible cause.

PP
  • LV426
    Thanks for this - I agree it sounds like the most likely option so will take it up with Kinesis directly.

Pilot Pete wrote:
    Dropouts are not square.
    Build problem.
    I agree that this sounds like the most plausible cause.

PP
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Hi I had a Kinesis Ti GF v1. I bought some blue lightweight adonised skewers.I had nothing but bad slippage problems with them on a set of proline Bracciano wheels.They were nearly off the frame after one down hill run!I never felt safe on them after that no matter how hard I tightened them so put the prolites ones back on and never a problem again.So must be down to different skewer design.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The problem with titanium skewers is that the E modulus or Young's modulus is only a little bit over half the one steel has.
    So they must be stretched almost twice as much as steel skewers to deliver the same clamping force.
    My suspicion is that most titanium skewers are not designed to do that and logically are poorly designed.
    Clamping force problems? > ditch the titanium and get steel ones.