Setting FTP in Garmin connect and apps

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited November 2016 in Road general
I'm having trouble getting my Garmin Connect to remember my FTP settings. I've entered them in the website at User Settings, and I can see the correct figure there, along with the correctly calculated training zones. But when I look at any ride details, it has the wrong FTP, and therefore calculates IF and TSS wrongly. I can easily work out IF but TSS takes a bit longer so I was wondering what I'm doing wrong - how do you get Connect to use the correct FTP score for each ride?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Have you sync'd the device with GC? You can also set the FTP in the settings on the device.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Can you set FTP on the App?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Sync your Garmin.
    Set the FTP in either the device or in GarminConnect (it's under device settings) and save it wherever you set it.
    Sync your Garmin.
  • As others have said, you need to sync what you enter on the site with your Garmin. My question is why are you bothered what GC is saying regarding TSS and IF? Does it really give you anything worth tracking??

Do you use Training Peaks?
  • Thanks for all of these. I'd already been setting the data in Garmin Connect and syncing to the 810. I'd also entered the data correctly in the 810 unit itself. I've tried again syncing in the order that Man of Lard suggests, and will try another ride and see if it uses the updated information. It just seems to revert back to 200W as the default setting for its calculations - while on the bike, it uses the correct zones, it doesn't seem to carry these back into either the app or Garmin Connect itself.

Supermurph, yes I'm a new power meter user and am so far using Golden Cheetah while I work out whether or not to subscribe to TrainingPeaks. I'm a relatively experienced cyclist, but the intention for next year is to use the power meter data to train more effectively, and crucially to work out fatigue to enable me to peak for priority events. I'm only slowly working out the different terminology used in Golden Cheetah compared with what I understand from Joe Friel's books. So my breakthrough today is to discover that TSS is called TriScore in Golden Cheetah and Intensity Factor is called Relative Intensity in Golden Cheetah. So arguably, it doesn't matter that the Garmin app has the wrong figures as I can just use the correct ones in Golden Cheetah, but I'd still like to understand why the Garmin is getting it wrong!
  • Not sure what you mean about GC names, I have used GC for ages and IF and TSS are used terms.
    I cannot see why you would want to pay for TP to be honest as GC is a very capable peice of analysis software.

I think TSS and IF are used in calculations for the PMC whixh is a chart I find extremely useful for working out form and peaking for events.
  • OnTheRopes wrote:
    Not sure what you mean about GC names, I have used GC for ages and IF and TSS are used terms.
    I cannot see why you would want to pay for TP to be honest as GC is a very capable peice of analysis software.

I think TSS and IF are used in calculations for the PMC whixh is a chart I find extremely useful for working out form and peaking for events.
    Thanks OTR. The good news is that Man of Lard's sync order seems to have fixed the proper FTP in the app.
    I've worked out what was going on re me not being able to find the terms I was used to in GC (i.e. IF and TSS). I've now enabled them through the tools>options>metrics>summary tab, as they weren't there by default. The defaults included TriScore (which gives a figure very similar to TSS), xPower (which gave a figure very close to NP) and Relative Intensity (which gave a figure very close to Intensity Factor).

All I need to do now is work out where Friel's decoupling figures are (I figure they are separated into Aerobic and Anaerobic Decoupling?) and then I'm nearly there, I think. Learning all the time....