Replacement battery pack for Solar Storme

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
YES I have read the big light thread, but struggling to find the right links.

The original cheap battery pack for my Solar Storme is now dead so I'm looking for a decent replacement.

I could get a waterproof pack from Lightmalls and loose decent batteries, but otherwise looking for links to quality replacement packs with screw (not the interference lip) connectors.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The big light thread is out of date at the beginning, but unfortunately I can't edit it. Which is a bugger.

Can you replace the individual cells in the existing pack?
  • The Rookie
    Current pack is the cheap shrink wrapped Chinese solar storm one, so not worth the bother.

Turns out it was the charger anyway, so I have some time to find a better pack!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I bought a replacement battery to have as a spare for my Solar Storm from Aliexpress >> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 33603.html
  • The Rookie
    Plenty of cheap ones available, I wanted something a bit better if I could.
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    I have been looking in to this a bit, now most of the cree lights running of 8.4v, now all packs on line claiming to be 8.4v 4 or 6 cell 18650, now 18650 have 4.2v when is fully charged so technicly speaking you using only 2 cells to get 8.4v to light, I never seen cree pack opened so not sure what electrical components they using and voltage regulator might be fitted to light housing it self, but I would sugest open the pack up check voltage on cells, and replace them with decent 18650 battery if you can solder. All them light packs will use crap 18650 cells and not 1 pearson supplying details what battery brand they fitted to them packs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are generally wired two in series and two in parallel, so you get 8.4v and double the run time of a single cell.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    How about this case and you can get decent cells to work with this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-4x ... SwNSxVNh9w
  • I'd be inclined to drop Smudge at MTB Batteries an email - sure he would put the solarstorm type connector onto one of his battery packs for you ...
  • The Rookie
    Thanks Kevin will try that!

Had spotted that one Ade, but a waterproof case and open USB connector seem contrary!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    cooldad wrote:
    They are generally wired two in series and two in parallel, so you get 8.4v and double the run time of a single cell.

Aha :idea: - that explains it. Thanks!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: