boardman cx comp 2016 compatible brakes.

Marks1962
Marks1962 Posts: 9
edited November 2016 in Cyclocross
Hi guys im new on this site but have been cycling over 30 years so got some knowledge , just bought a cx comp and find the brakes really lacking like a lot of other people, wanted to know if anyone has fitted trp spyre to there bike or avid bb7, as you will know not much room on the back so before buying thought i would see what other comp owners might have done, guy i mailed at merlin cycles came up with an idea of fitting a 140mm rotor on the rear and a flat fitting spyre caliper giving in his mind more room around seat stay area , any ideas or thoughts would be very appreciated as i have done all the recommended adjustments and tricks i have picked up over the years and come to the same conclusion as many others that the lyra brakes are not much cop, thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have you changed the pads for a pad with more more bite, did you bed them in properly by getting them up to a high temperature.
    I have a Team which comes with SRAM hydraulic brakes but they still don't give the same braking as my SRAM brakes on my Commencal MTB.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Hi i did bed them in as recomended but i might be expecting to much being used to 105 on my trek road bike which are brilliant,i have cleaned the rotors with alchohol and sanded the pads but not had a chance to get out on the bike as yet and bed in again,if this proves no better i will try better pads and some jagwire cables before spending out on new calipers which looks to be a bit of a headache especially the rear as all the info i have had espesially concerning trp spyre needs a bit of measuring due to location of mounts and what will and wont fit, all good fun.
  • Compressionless brake outer makes a huge difference
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    I have the 2014 CX team which came with mechanical BB5. I changed them to BB7. There was a noticeable improvement, but it was mostly about reduction in noise and shudder and there is generally more confidence. I would recommend doing it.
  • Hi guys thanks for all the tips and replys,well got time this morning to get out on bike and after cleaning the rotors and sanding the pads the other day took it to a decent hill in a near by park and bedded the brakes in good and proper,result front feels more solid and grabbing the rotor much stronger,the rear is a lot better but still a bit spongy feeling even though it is able to lock the back wheel up without warning,full length cable housing wont help with spongy feel as im used to solid feel of rim brakes using small amount of outers,quite happy with todays results though as much better bracking which may get better with a few more miles ,give it a while and will fit better pads and compresionless cables and see how that works before splashing out on new calipers , feel more confident and safer now that brakes are really working better, thanks again for all your ideas and showing an interest.
  • Hi guys went ahead and bought a set of SORA disc brake calipers thinking as they are part of sora groupset maybe thay will work better than the lyras fitted, got them cheap from CRC and they arrived today but on trying to fit them the rear just hasnt enough room, the cable pinch bolt wont clear the seat stay and you cant align the bolt holes which are about 1cm out of line so looks like they will have to go back to CRC , thought i would let anyone else with a cx comp know so you dont waste you time,back to trying different disc pads i guess.