Canyon Ultimate vs Endurace (Ultegra vs 105)

iamraymond
iamraymond Posts: 14
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
My current bike is a Felt F4130 (Colombus tubing w/ 105 components) which I am using as an all-arounder. I use it for weekend rides (2+ hours), shorter evening rides (~1 hour), and my daily commute. I'm not the fittest person and I've only got into cycling this year where I road 1500+kms (excluding my commute).

I'm currently in the market for a new bicycle which would be primarily used for my evening/weekend rides. So far I've narrowed it down to the Canyon brand which I'm drawn to by it's value for dollar.

For my budget, my choices are the Ultimate CF SL 7.0 with 105 for 1499CHF or the Endurace CF SL 7.0 with Ultegra for 1599CHF. Reviews state that the comfort and ride of both bicycles is pretty much the same and both bikes are similarly specced. The only real difference is the groupset. The Endurace has the Ultegra 6800 groupset with a Compact 50/34 + 11-32t cassette which is my preference as there are a lot of mountains where I live. I'm also used to running a compact crankset on my Felt. The Ultimate comes with a semi-compact 52/36 crankset which I'd change to a 50/34. Buying new rings directly from Canyon will cost around 65CHF. In the end, the total initial cost of both two bikes is roughly the same.

I plan to keep the bicycle for a while so upgrades are definitely in the future, starting with the wheels... Is the slightly lighter frame of the Utlimate (100g less) worth the compromise of a lower groupset? I imagine that as parts wear out, I would replace 105 with Ultegra components anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Comments