Had my bike attempted stolen In city centre

Beebee12
Beebee12 Posts: 7
edited November 2016 in Road general
Today I went shopping I'm city centre, left my bike for maybe an hour, I came back to find a thief had cut my lock and about to take my bike. Talk about good timing! I saved my bike, calling him a a prick and he walked off. I saw him walk off but felt like I should of done something, but what? There is no police about, despite it being a city centre, and I guess I was happy to just have kept my bike. It was 10am and people walking about but obviously no one will notice a lock being cut or will they care. What would u do in this situation, call the police?

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yes. There's a pretty high chance that they won't do anything useful, but if you don't call them, then there's an absolute certainty that they won't do anything.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would use my phone to take a piccie of the urchin and then call the police. There is no point trying to get into some argy bargy unless you are confident you can handle the situation and some of these felons have nothing to lose if it turns ugly...whereas most normal people do. Do I want to risk getting stabbed with a rusty blade or infected needle just to get someone arrested only for them to be subsequently left off with a caution and a slap on the wrist, nah!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Call the police. There's probably CCTV there and they could look at that.

As it is - no action from you means zero chance of him getting caught.

Why didnt you call them there and then ?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Definitely report to the Police. Chances are he'll be back to try similar trick on someone else's bike to fund his habit. From the description you give they might well already be aware of his antics and be able to use your evidence to act.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Call the police, even though they would do naff all.

Work mate was mugged a couple of weeks ago losing his phone. Rang the police, gave them the phones location using track my phone and said it would have been covered by cctv as it was on a popular/prominent street whilst it was quiet. He's heard nothing back, didn't even get a crime number.
  • What's all this call the police stuff? They'll do nothing whatsoever. Should have floored him and rode off.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    what did he cut the lock with? was it the middle of the day?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Don't forget when you report the crime to mention that you believe that your bike was targeted due to your race or faith (perhaps something like Jedi). Apparently, detailed scrutiny of the big rise in "post-Brexit hate crime" reported shows that at least 1% of it is listed as bike theft, bonkers, so it must be true :-)
  • Chris Bass wrote:

Angle grinder
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Chris Bass wrote:

No doubt his rapier like wit
  • I wouldn't bother. When my bike was stolen I found it on gumtree that night. I arranged to view it then called the police to tell them the time and place to turn up and arrest a bike thief. But they said no, no resources. They're not going to send someone just for that. They said my best bet was to go myself, grab hold of it and dial 999 as that was my best chance of a response!
    So..you missed your opportunity, nothing to be done about it now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I saw a guy nick a big issue sellers bike once.
    The big issue seller started shouting stop thief as the guy shot off down a wide pedestrian alley.

A guy at the other end of the alley had time to hold his umbrella at the tip end like a hockey stick, and properly put all his force into massive swing and knocked the cnut straight off the bike and onto the floor as he shot past.

One of the best things I have ever seen in real life.
    Guy got a massive cheer from everyone who saw it.

Am sure there are some people on here that feel for the scumbag though.
    Especially defense lawyers.

Personally I hope he stumbled off and died in a ditch.
  • My mate had a Gumtree situation as well. He planned to turn up grab the bike and ride off but when he got to the meeting point was greeted by 5 yoofs. He ended up buying it back off them for £70, fortunately they were too stupid to realise it was a £1500 Cannondale!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Chris Bass wrote:

Angle grinder

Hold on a minute?
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I once came back to my bike to find someone pulling at the lock and trying to nick it. I got right in his face, gave him a big shove in the chest and shouted "what the f@&$ are you doing to my bike!?"

He just looked at me dead calm and said "sorry mate, didn't know it was your bike" and sauntered slowly off without even looking back.

I just stood there totally stunned.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Where, which city?
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    ben----- wrote:
    Where, which city?

London
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    E17Blade wrote:
    ben----- wrote:
    Where, which city?

London

Sorry, I should have quoted the OP before the question. I was wondering where Beebee12's bike was nearly stolen.

But anyway, the gall of these people is amazing. It must be because they pretty much know they're going to get away with it – not suffer any consequences. :(