Cycle Touring Caravan Build

Gemn
Gemn Posts: 2
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi, my name is Theo and I'm currently working on a project some of you might find interesting.

Essentially a cycle towed mirco-caravan complete with space to sleep, store possessions, cook inside, fitted with solar panels to charge phones and power lighting, and also trailer brakes.
I have got to the end of the design and research process, everything that I'm aiming for is achievable without too much hassle and I can keep the whole build, even when kitted out with things, below 45-50kg so towing shouldn't be much of an issue with some low gearing.
It's definitely a longer trailer, 2.3m long and 0.8m wide but that'll provide ample space to sleep in and with room for webbing and mounted boxes for storage.

My goal is to complete the build in February (my parents are moving 200 miles north in January so I'm holding off until then) and come March, live car AND house free. I'll be riding from our house-to-be in Lancashire, deep in the Forest of Bowland, northwards until land runs out. I'm not a long distance cycler but having a tow along camper means that I'll be able to take it at my own pace and really experience the countryside. I have from March until September clear in my calendar so I'll just keep extending the trip as long as I'm enjoying it! Along the way I hope to be able to give talks in schools encouraging kids to stay active and raise money for Bikes To Africa.

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this on this forum so apologies if this is a faux pas but I've set up a GoFundMe so if anyone would like to throw a pound or two forwards, please feel free, also the write up there is a little more thorough:
https://www.gofundme.com/pedal-powered-camper-project
If you're interested in keeping up with progress when it happens (early 2017), I'll be posting videos to myYouTube channel for the build/setting up solar etc and vlogs of the journey when I'm all set:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC61TqNx3E8Pyvu0mOXgnWRg

Thanks for your interest!

Theodore