Cassette help

Amberboy
Amberboy Posts: 5
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi All.
I need a little help here please guys. I've been riding for a couple of years now and have decided to start upgrading the bike a little. I got a really good deal on a set of Zipp 404's. They came with a 10 speed Shimano cassette 11-28.
I'm currently riding with a campagnolo set with 50-34 on the front and 12-30 on the rear. This is where my knowledge ends. I was thinking it was a straight swap over but when I put on the new wheel, not only does it run horribly but it has a large gap between the spokes and the cassette resulting in the chain coming off. Am I right in thinking that campagonolo and shimano aren't compatible and if so whats the cheapest way to get round this problem.

Many Thanks

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Amberboy wrote:
    Hi All.
    I need a little help here please guys. I've been riding for a couple of years now and have decided to start upgrading the bike a little. I got a really good deal on a set of Zipp 404's. They came with a 10 speed Shimano cassette 11-28.
    I'm currently riding with a campagnolo set with 50-34 on the front and 12-30 on the rear. This is where my knowledge ends. I was thinking it was a straight swap over but when I put on the new wheel, not only does it run horribly but it has a large gap between the spokes and the cassette resulting in the chain coming off. Am I right in thinking that campagonolo and shimano aren't compatible and if so whats the cheapest way to get round this problem.

Many Thanks
    Having a gap should not be an issue - the limit screws on the derailleur stop the chain falling off the top sprocket, not the spokes of the wheel.

I can't answer the general compatibility question, but I'm sure someone else will.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    3 choices

1) sell that wheel and get one with a campag freehub
    2) remove that freehub and replace with a campag freehub
    3) upgrade to 11 speed and replace the cassette with an 11 speed as Shimano and Campag have the same spacing on 11 speed.

all rather depends on the availability
    1) is easiest
    2) depends on availability and cost of a campag freehub - no idea, not got zipps so don't know the situation
    3) depends if your freehub is 11 speed compatible as to whether it's a consideration - but if it is and you do then you need to change your groupset too .... so a slightly more major task!

[edit]
    Option 4 - replace your groupset with a Shimano 10 speed !
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The limit screws may need repositioning because the hub/freehub/cassette dimensions will not be identical on both wheelsets.

The cogs on a 10spd Campagnolo cassette have a slightly different spacing (cog pitch) compared to a 10spd Shimano cassette. So they are not compatible. But there are some workarounds

a few options are

1. Buy a Shimano splined cassette that comes with Campagnolo cog spacing. Like this for £30.99
    http://www.jejamescycles.com/ambrosio-c ... 10spd.html

2. Buy a Shift Mate by Jtek Engineering. This installs between the cable and rear derailleur and alters the cable pull so the rear derailleur travel matches the desired cog spacing. Look at the chart to see which type you need.
    http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/

3. Buy a Campag freehub from Zipp.

Another thing, If the used 10spd Shimano cassette (or your current chain) is badly worn then you may experience bad shifting or skipping because of that wear.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Gethinceri wrote:

The OP hasnt said if he is on 10sp or 11sp Campag. he just put the shimano Zipp wheel in, without realising there are differences, this cant be a given he is on 10 speed.

Otherwise your right.
  • Thanks very much for the help and info