Shimano Compatability ultegra vs 105

Haughjd
Haughjd Posts: 93
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have a set of wheel's with a ultegra 6800 hub, and a 6700 10 speed cassette! Looking to use these as 'winter' wheels. But to use on my bike need 11 speed!! Rather than getting a 6800 cassette - could I save some ££££ and buy a 105 5800 11 speed cassette.. I would hope that would be compatible - just checking..

Thanks Jon

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Yes, it will work.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    100% compatible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To make things even more interesting you can also fit SRAM cassettes on them without any issues whatsoever. I used to run SRAM 9 and now run 11 speed SRAM cassettes on my shimano bikes.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Sorry to jump on this post with a slight off topic.

I am going to upgrade from basic Shimano (Tiagra) and the token gesture 105 rear mech.
    Am I worthwhile going to full 105 or make the step up to Ultegra? Also, are there issues with compatibility regarding 105 and Ultegra or is it pretty much interchangeable (similar to XT and XTR) ?

I am from a MTB (primarily XC background and race a fair bit) background and do ride a lot and am not a novice to bikes. I bit the bullet 2 years ago and got a Carbon Boardman Team to get some winter miles in and to see if I like the Road (which I do).
    Sorry for the possibly daft question but I want some good info from people who actually ride with 105 and/or Ultegra and not base it off a few reviews.

Thanks
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    5800 and 6800 cassettes are almost identical. A different coating and a lighter lockring on the 6800 are about the only differences for the extra cost.

In fact much of the entire groupsets are the same - materials aside which makes 5800 a little heavier in each area but functionally pretty much the same.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    coriordan wrote:
    To make things even more interesting you can also fit SRAM cassettes on them without any issues whatsoever. I used to run SRAM 9 and now run 11 speed SRAM cassettes on my shimano bikes.

He's looking to save a few quid by buying 5800 as opposed to 6800.In general Sram cassettes are much dearer than the shimano equivalent.
  • You might not agree with it all but this is one perspective:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... our-money/