New Dura Ace 9100 pedals

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Received today, 234g compared to 250g for the 9000, so they've addressed (a bit) the one area where they are behind the competition.

Mostly very similar to the old pair with just a couple of tweaks here and there. Importantly, the bearing area and housing has not changed, and Shimano have resisted the temptation to move away from metal, which is what makes them so reliable.

Vid; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L1k52co60s

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    3 years on 2 sets of Keo Max2 (2 bikes) about 22,000 miles in total, zero issues.

i dont know what your on about with the 8mm allen key, the only other option is a 15mm pedal spanner, hardy discreet, i think you ran out of things to say lol!
  • Interesting pronunciation of Duraace
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mamba80 wrote:
    3 years on 2 sets of Keo Max2 (2 bikes) about 22,000 miles in total, zero issues.

i dont know what your on about with the 8mm allen key, the only other option is a 15mm pedal spanner, hardy discreet, i think you ran out of things to say lol!

I mostly ran Keo Blades, and they were in Look's workshop more often than they were on my bike....the noises drove me nuts. The body cracked too. Maybe the Max's are better in that respect, never used them.

I hardly ever use a 15mm spanner, even on clients' or hire bikes. 6mm Allen is common and some use 5.
  • Interesting pronunciation of Duraace

Maybe the French way of saying it?! Not sure.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the R550 and Pd-5800s and the 5800s take an 8mm and the R550's a 6mm. The 5800s are forever getting stuck. I don't know what the spindle is made from but one of the shoulders on the allen slot snapped meaning the pedal was forever stuck on the crank arm.

My LBS removed the pedal body, ground down 2 opposite sides of the spindle to make it flat. Stuck it in a vice and turned the crank arm to get it unstuck.

The R550s are clearly iron/steel as they have rusted a bit but the allen slots are very well machined (or fit my tools better than the 8mm ones!) and at least have the backup of a 15mm spanner attachment if required.
  • Many LBS's and bike hire companies tend to tighten pedals way too tight because they're scared of litigation. This can make them a swine to get off, especially if no grease was applied to the threads at the time.

You really don't need to go crazy when mounting pedals, just pinch them up and they'll be fine.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Agreed. Even when I loosened them (a lot!) and then did the 10 miles to work they were a PITA to get off again!