Bottom Bracket sizing issues

Spencer505
Spencer505 Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

I want to upgrade my 2016 Cube attain to Shimano 105 (currently fitted with Claris).

Taking it apart I have found it's fitted with a Shimano ES300 73 - 118mm bottom bracket, so the Hollowtech BB-R60 with external cups ends up sitting quite a lot further out. This then means that I cannot secure the crank arms properly as they are off by about 5mm.

There are no spacers etc fitted to the cups, and I was really surprised to find that the attain had been made with a 73mm BB shell - I believe this is usually a MTB size?

My question is what are my options? Can I get the BB shell faced to fit the BB-R60, or will this mess up the chainline? is there another Hollowtech BB which will fit a 73mm shell?

Do I just find a ditch to go and lie in?

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    When you installed the 105 chainset are you certain you inserted it all the way in ? It may need a gentle tap with a soft hammer. Make sure to use grease on the spindle.
  • I asked something similar recently. There were some good answers, but the message I took away from the discussion was that it probably isn't going to work out very well. Sorry, and enjoy the ditch....

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13071044
  • Fiendoidel wrote:
    I asked something similar recently. There were some good answers, but the message I took away from the discussion was that it probably isn't going to work out very well. Sorry, and enjoy the ditch....

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13071044

Damn that is depressing. I'll go home tonight and have a look at my options I guess. From what I remember there is a bit of space on the BB shell, but as pointed out I will need to see if this effects the chainline - don't want to adjust it only for the front mech not to work.

Why would they put a 73mm shell on a road frame?! Gives you no options whatsoever.
  • Is it worth checking the Shi,amo Cyclocross chainsets, they may be designed for a wider bb
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it worth checking the Shi,amo Cyclocross chainsets, they may be designed for a wider bb

Well I stuck a Shimano CX50 46/36 chainset on my winter road bike and don't think the spindle is any longer than the Tiagra and 105 chainsets that were on there before...
  • I agree with keef66 - CX70 has the same spindle length as the Tiagra 4600 it replaced (easy to tell when you have both in your hand...)
  • On the plus side, it's a good excuse to buy a new frame....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't see why you cant narrow the shell to 68mm, your LBS may not want to face it back that far but you could get the 2.5mm per side removed at a machine shop and then the threads chased and a mild facing added.

Cost about £50 for both at a guess, £30 machining and 320 chase and face.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I don't see why you cant narrow the shell to 68mm, your LBS may not want to face it back that far but you could get the 2.5mm per side removed at a machine shop and then the threads chased and a mild facing added.

Cost about £50 for both at a guess, £30 machining and 320 chase and face.
    Fiendoidel wrote:
    On the plus side, it's a good excuse to buy a new frame....

My worry is messing up the chainline as outlined in the post that was added before... the last thing I want to do is make my bike un-useable as the frame is relatively new. The way forward I think is to find a new chainset and sell off the 105 one I have which has relatively little wear on it (Sub 200 miles :(!!!).

The majority of the rest of the components should work fine, the main reason I want to upgrade is that this groupset was only bought short time ago and I haven't really had a change to enjoy the 11 speed 105, I'd rather not shift back to Claris on 8 especially as I bought a set of Cosmic Elites which will sit gathering dust otherwise.

I've found a square taper BB that matches the length needed and an FSA Vero JIS Crankset that matches the tooth arrangement for the 105 chainset I can't use. for £70 I think this is a better option than potentially damaging my frame!

Oh... the joys of bicycles...
  • You're making me feel better about some of my disastrous build errors, which tend to always end up costly.

Still it's the journey not the destination and you're enjoying the challenge, right? (That's what I like to tell myself.....)