New crank advice please...

big_southern_jesse
big_southern_jesse Posts: 729
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've had my bike 6 years now, and rode it as a singlespeed for 4 years before adding a 9 speed cassette fot a 1x9. With limited gears I often end up out of the saddle with some serious pressure through the pedals. A couple of times my cranks have loosened, and either that, or general wear and tear has lead to needing a new bottom bracket a couple of times over the years.

The last one came apart pretty badly this summer mid ride, and by the time I'd finished there was a lot of loose movement in the whole set up. It was a cheapish bb with an FSA hollowtech crankset.

When I came to replace it I found the preload nut was locked absolutely solid. I tried varios things to loosen it and eventually stripped the allen key fitting inside. I drilled it out to a slightly larger diameter to use a screw remover, and first broke a tap wrench and then rounded off the shank of the remover. This thing was stuck solid. In the end I relied on it being horribly cheap aluminium and cut the top rim off with a chisel and mallet so I could remove the crank and dissassemble the set up

I have a brand new bottom bracket, a Shimano Saint bb80 to go in, and a relatively new chainring to transfer across.

What I can't find is a set of hollowtech cranks of reasonable quality that aren't being sold with chainrings and bb included. Usual susoects, Wiggle, CRC etc all sell complete sets which is an extra outlay for spares I don't really want to spend if possible

Any recommendations for a decent strong set of cranks would be very welcome. This is the 2nd preload nut to fail at tje hex socket.

Looking for a 175 length with 104 bolt diameter.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jess.
Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
The world's ultimate marmite bike

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just find a set of Shimano HTII cranks on Ebay. Must be plenty cheap with worn rings. The cranks are pretty much unbreakable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Surprised that the preload nut has failed as it is not meant to be put in tightly. Use a bit of copper grease on the threads before inserting it next time.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks for a couple of quick replies...

Ebay is a good call, hadn't tried that yet.

I think th epreload nut came under load as the bb became loose and wobble meant the non-drive crank moved on the shaft a bit. They weren't the highest spec cranks so not hugely surprised at some wear and loss there.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike