Cx1 not as free as I'd like

Haloric
Haloric Posts: 12
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just received a new boardman 9.4 cxr, which has a sram cx1.
I have no experience of these. I have not ridden it yet, just checking it over in case it needs to go back.
The cx1 seems very stiff to me, taking the chain off and spinning the cranks, the cranks won't do a full turn once I stop turning them, as if the bearings are dry or too tight. Can the bearings even be fitted too tight. There is no sound or squeak.
There are no pedals fitted yet to add turning moment. Is this normal - the bike came direct from boardman and looks perfect in every other regard.
Thanks

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Bearings aren't supposed to spin freely, if they do then it's a sign they are worn. As long as there isn't excessive resistance to being turned they will probably loosen up after a few rides, if they don't then you can take it back to the shop.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fresh bearings can often feel quite draggy until the settle in, Hope's bearings feel like they are filled with treacle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes - filled with treacle is exactly the feeling.

Can't send it back based on that feeling though - thanks for your help, I'll break it in for a few rides and see what happens.

cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming it can be compared to a Hope, it will free off somewhat over about 150miles, it will still feel more 'viscous' than say a Shimano, but then good lubrication is what gives the Hope bearings an enviable reputation for longevity!

That said I'm running Shimano XTR/Saint on my two main bikes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.