Planet X new bike The Full Monty

alan_sherman
alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Looks interesting, £800 for ally frame, carbon bladed tapered fork, room for 40mm tyres, 27.2mm seatpost, proper eyelets for mudguards (by the QR), and front pannier mount on the inside of the fork blades. Quick releases front and rear (good in my view), external cables so no need for in-line cable adjusters for front mech adjustment, Tiagra groupset. Only letdown in the spec seems to be BB7 brakes really. Minor niggles with post mount not flat mount and alu steerer. The blue looks good.

Seems to be a replacement for the London Road.

Similar to the Saracen Hack 2 2017 (also Blue)

Comments

• Carbon fork blades with front rack? Unlikely! Couldn't see anything on the photos or in the sales blurb. I'll revert to what their customer service guy said about my London road forks. It doesn't take front racks and we don't do a replacement fork that will. If it does turn out to take a front rack I'm pretty sure if not want to put much on a carbon fork, certainly not a px one.

Looks just like the London road but no doubt it's copied some of the features of other similar bikes already out. London road got dated not least with not really taking 40mm tyres properly. Certainly not with guards. I only just got marathon plus tyres in 35mm under my guards on the PX LR.
  • Something about the geometry looks wrong, the front end doesn't look right.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Something about the geometry looks wrong, the front end doesn't look right.

Short head tube would rule it out for me
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    You sure it's meant to replace the LR? Doesn't seem to have been around all that long, and they still seem to have stock in most sizes and colours (although 10% off at the moment).

I got a pair of 38C Vittoria Voyagers on under mudguards on my LR without any trouble.
  • Well that's interesting. Seems there's more attachment points than the London road fork.

From what I can see there's the mid fork mudguard eyelets that's been moved to the inside of the fork (LR had them on the outside l. There's eyelets on the drop out and what looks like another eyelet where the disc brake mount is. This last eyelet is curious, what's it for and is the another in a similar place on.the other leg of the fork?

What's your views on putting front pannier racks on carbon forks? PX customer support were very dismissive of the idea in May this year when I asked them about it.

I think I might need to call them up about those forks. I wonder if they will suit a London Road. My fork has a few chunks out of it. Mostly cable wear before I noticed it and put helicopter tape on it, but one wear was from a car cycle rack bolt that's a little too deep for my liking. That last one was checked out and is ok but being near the drop out it worries me. Plus i took a big hit from a pothole last winter.