Garmin HRM Run missing

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited November 2016 in Road general
Just checking in here for some advice.

I bought a Fenix 3 over a year ago and it came bundled with a HRM Run (heart rate monitor). Everything worked tickety boo until recently when the HRM battery was low. I took it to a jewellers to replace the battery because it has teeny screws which I couldn't do myself. He struggled to get them out and one of the screw heads was stripped. He suggested not putting it back in as it may not come out again.

I contacted Garmin and asked for some replacement screws. They replied and asked me to send in the device as they would replace it. So I received an email from Garmin asking me to RMA it to them. The email stated to pack it up and put the RMA details on the envelope and the postage was free. I duly did this but 2 weeks later they still haven't received it. I have contacted them but they state unless they receive it or proof of postage they cannot send me a replacement one. I understand this, but how can I prove I sent it?

I received a second email after the first with details which said they 'recommend' sending it recorded delivery, however the first (which I still have) clearly did not state to do this. I clearly wrote my details on the back as the sender so there is a chance it may still turn up somewhere...

So I am stuck in limbo with no device any longer, which was sent in because Garmin requested that I do, and only sent because of issues due to the design. Googling shows that this is a common issue and some users have reported the screws are glued in.

Any ideas? Do I have to write this off?
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• With the benefit of hindsight, you should have posted it at a Post Office and obtained a certificate of posting (free).
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you're sending something of value, why would you not automatically send it recorded delivery? It isn't Garmin's fault you chose not to and seems that you're trying to blame them because they didn't mention it in the original email.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    In fairness to the OP, Garmin told him to use their Freepost service so he was doing as he was told. They probably should have said to obtain proof of posting though.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i returned something foro warranty replacement and garmin do not update the order details unless you sent the item recorded delivery. I was worried for a while but a week or two later i got an email saying the new one had been posted so it could still be fine.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Well, well...4 & ½ weeks later, I have received an email from Garmin to say they have received my device.

Great...lesson learnt!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    TheFD wrote:
    Well, well...4 & ½ weeks later, I have received an email from Garmin to say they have received my device.

Great...lesson learnt!

This is a rare occasion it is actually good that i can say "I told you so!"
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes