Buying for kid...

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Looking to get the little lad a bike for Xmas. He's 12 and 4 foot 10 so too small for an adult bike in small I'd say!

Any idea? Budget is £500, ideally.

Have seen a few Orbea that I like. But none seem to have rebound damping at that price. Have found one Orbea model which does but it's 600+.

Riding will be mostly xc and trail, can't see him fancying the natural stuff with me just yet.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Lots of posts on this sort of thing in the family and kids section.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • concorde
    Oops, didn't see that section.

Can a moderator move this there please?

Cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How about a Voodoo Nzumbi?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/k ... in-bike-26

13 and 15 inch frame sizes. Nicely specced too for the money.
  • concorde
    supersonic wrote:
    How about a Voodoo Nzumbi?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/k ... in-bike-26

13 and 15 inch frame sizes. Nicely specced too for the money.

Cheers SS. I like the look of that. Them 9 gears enough?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    9 works fine, all I used for 4 years, also losing the front shift saves about 1/3-1/2 a Kg which for a kid is well worth doing.

1x gearing is the current big thing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    The Rookie wrote:
    9 works fine, all I used for 4 years, also losing the front shift saves about 1/3-1/2 a Kg which for a kid is well worth doing.

1x gearing is the current big thing.

Cheers, I'm out of touch as haven't ridden in couple of years!

This is looking like the one!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    That Voodoo Nzumbi does look nice, I wonder where the promo video was shot?? (Also wish more manufacturers would put bike weights with the specifications)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • SS, do you know what cassette range and chain ring this bike has? I am looking at one for my 12 YO and wondered how the range compares with the usual 24 -27 speed gears bikes at this price point usually come with.
  • natrix wrote:
    That Voodoo Nzumbi does look nice, I wonder where the promo video was shot?? (Also wish more manufacturers would put bike weights with the specifications)

Promo Vid looks like it was shot at Llandegla in North Wales
    Giant Trance X2 - 2013
    Giant Trance X3 - 2012 - Stolen :(
    Cannondale Trail SL6 - 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SS, do you know what cassette range and chain ring this bike has? I am looking at one for my 12 YO and wondered how the range compares with the usual 24 -27 speed gears bikes at this price point usually come with.
    The same range as a 27 being ridden solely on the middle ring and slightly more than a 24 ridden solely on the middle ring.
    Each ring only really adds two gears as the rest are just overlaps with the next ring, so a 27 speed bike can be thought of as a 13 speed compared to the Voodoo's 9.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty sure the cassette is a 11-32, will check next time I am in - and weigh the bike.