Cassette movement??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, had my free hub bearings replaced as it was dragging and the chain kept going slack, checked today and my cassette is a bit loose i.e. you can rock it back and forth about 3/4 mm - is this normal????

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    There is a post about chains going slack and the general conclusion is that it is due to the pawls sticking. Bad bearings would just add resistance to the drive - which you mentioned) but not cause the chain to go slack. Hopeful;ly the bearing service included cleaning out the pawls too so both symptoms would have gone by now. With a normal spanner you can check and tighten the cassette lock nut (but not loosen it - need a chain whip or some improvisation) for that. But yes some slack between pawl clicks is possible and some lateral (side to side) slack is possible too maybe because a ring is not properly lined up or the lockring is loose. 3/4 mm (0.75mm) does not sound much but 3 or 4 mm sounds a lot to me if that is what you mean by 3/4mm.

If you have an old chain then that may need replacing.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JGTR
    Thanks, the shop originally regreased the free hub as it was dry (never been touched before this) and I thought it may have been over greased hence it was dragging, was still the same after 200 miles so I took it back and they said it was bearings for which they have charged me for. It's 3 to 4 mm of movement, I'll either take it back or maybe look at it myself, it's about time I started to repair my own bike, LBS costing me a fortune at the moment, especially considering I'm a fully qualified car mechanic
  • Possibly cassette is not fully tightened (as Fishfish said) or the freehub is not tight.
  • Sounds like the last cog was not put on correctly.
  • JGTR
    Doing some research last night it, got the feeling it's the free hub as the Specialized HiLo hubs are known for being a bit c**p. I'll take the cassette off and make sure it's on properly - it's just had some repairs in the free hub at my LBS :-(
  • I didn't mention the freehub being knackered as you had just had it at the lbs and I assumed they would have noticed it, but when I had movement like this in the cassette, the freehub needed replacing.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the cassette's moving relative to the wheel then either the sprockets are moving on the freehub (missing spacer(s), missing sprocket, lockring not tight) or the freehub's moving on the hub (bearings collapsed or the thing is not properly secured)
  • JGTR
    LBS just replaced bearings so shouldn't be the free hub, but seems to be a lot of issues with the Specialized HiLo free hub which I have on my bike, will remove casette later today, hope it's not the free hub as they seem impossible to get hold of and will probably mean a new hub/wheel :-(
  • JGTR
    Free hub is ok, lock ring is tight, still got movement - maybe it's always been like it and I've never noticed, maybe a spacer missing, still works fine so may just leave it.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JGTR wrote:
    Free hub is ok, lock ring is tight, still got movement - maybe it's always been like it and I've never noticed, maybe a spacer missing, still works fine so may just leave it.

Take the cassette off the wheel and try move the freehub I think that could be loose or have play in it.

The freehub body isn't worn is it?
  • JGTR
    swod1 wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Take the cassette off the wheel and try move the freehub I think that could be loose or have play in it.
    to. E mis
    The freehub body isn't worn is it?
    Just done that, free hub is fine, think it's just the way it is, not enough movement to be missing a spacer