Tire changing

madmaxwell
madmaxwell Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Am not a stranger to changing tires but am really struggling with some continental 4 seasons to the point where i cant use them because if i got a puncture on the road i am not sure i could get the tire back on.
Is it me being a numpty or what. They are not brand new but not been used too much either but i am really struggling.
Any suggestions.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Some tyre / rim combos just don't work that well unfortunately. On a different wheelset there would probably be no issue.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    madmaxwell wrote:
    Is it me being a numpty or what.
    Probably ;)

Seriously though there are few tyres that won't go on if you get the technique correct. Essentially if you get the beads into the centre well of the rim it should be pretty straightforward. Conti 4S's aren't particularly difficult to fit
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    They will almost certainly be easier to get off and on after they have been fitted and ridden. I find it helpful to fit a tight tyre without a tube and then remove it. This slightly stretches it, and saves pinching a tube.
  • giropaul wrote:
    They will almost certainly be easier to get off and on after they have been fitted and ridden. I find it helpful to fit a tight tyre without a tube and then remove it. This slightly stretches it, and saves pinching a tube.

Now that's a good idea!

I just spent an hour wrestling Continental GP4s onto some ultegra 6800 wheels, swearing, sweating and walking off in a huff were my main techniques! When I finally got the second one on, of course, I'd pinched the inner tube and had to start again. :evil:

Got some of those Var tyre levers on order...we shall see.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've never had any problems with GP4S on the very rare occasions I've suffered a puncture. That's on Shimano clinchers; other rims may be harder. I hear hanging folding tyres on a radiator prior to first fitting can make things easier, as can a dusting of talc.

Good suggestion re fitting the tyre first without a tube...
  • When fitting the tyre, roll the last bit of tyre on at the valve.
    This allows a maximum of tyre bead to sit deep into the rim well and gives an effective smaller diameter rim.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Was always taught the other way, work away from the valve, main thing is to make sure the tyre goes into the channel, usually add a squeak of air so the tube isn't flat less chance of pinching it I find.

Some rim tyres combos though are a Pain, I've two sets of rims, moved the tyres from one to another. One set, absolute nightmare. Other fitted without a lever. Same tyre, different rim though the diameters are the same. All to do with internal shaping etc. Or one rims not actually 700c is 702c because its annoying, or least that's my theory.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's easier to finish at the valve - that way the beads sit in the centre well all the way around the rim as you fit the tyre.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D