Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Wheel change

StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Having decided I can't be bothered with swapping brake pads and wheels over on a regular basis, I've sold my 50mm carbon clinchers and am looking for something to replace them with. I want semi aero with an aluminium braking track, an average weight and capable of taking a 25mm tyre or more. Price range is around £500 to £600. Rim brakes obviously and minimum of 35mm rim height.

Have been looking at"
Fulcrum Racing Quattro's (are these a decent set priced at budget prices or just budget wheels?)
Shimano RS81 C35s
Vision Trimax T42 and 35

I can swing for Mavic Cosmic Carbone Pro wheels, but have had Mavics before and the noise of the free hub is too loud. Gives it away when I'm wheel sucking. They're also 50mm rim height and I would prefer shallower.

Any other recommendations?
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Posts

  • I generally swap wheels/ pads at the end of Autumn then the start of Spring. Hardly a bother and worth buying new wheels for.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    I've been caught out in the rain too many times on carbon rims and even with Swiss Stop specific pads, it isn't fun.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Do you have a winter bike, or a smartphone to check weather?

    I have the cheap blue pads (selcof?) from planet X and they can get me from 30 to a stop in sufficient time, even in the snow
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Nought wrong with the Quattro LGs IMO. They come in at 35mm, wide rim, decent brake track (when matched with good pads), weigh less than 1750g and cost under £200. The bearings seem to last ok as far as I can tell with the chaps I know that ride them and can be replaced if needed (I personally would prefer cup/cone but that is a personal choice).

    In an ideal world they would weigh somewhere around 1600g but they are so keenly priced they can be used as fit and forget winter wheels.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    coriordan wrote:
    Do you have a winter bike, or a smartphone to check weather?

    I have the cheap blue pads (selcof?) from planet X and they can get me from 30 to a stop in sufficient time, even in the snow

    Yes I have a winter bike. If I'm going for a long ride, I'll use my Reacto over the heavier winter bike. Weather is unpredictable by recent experience. A forecast for a sunny day with slight overcast periods, turned into a torrential downpour lasting all day during a 100 mile ride on carbon rims. Even with Swiss Stop Flash pro yellow pads, braking was not happening with any urgency. Been caught out with failed weather predictions a few times this year. Only this weekend, the prediction was for overcast but no chance of rain. So it rains.

    Whilst some have the time and patience to be changing wheels and pads, I don't. At least with aluminium braking tracks, I don't have to worry about swapping anything.
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Nought wrong with the Quattro LGs IMO. They come in at 35mm, wide rim, decent brake track (when matched with good pads), weigh less than 1750g and cost under £200. The bearings seem to last ok as far as I can tell with the chaps I know that ride them and can be replaced if needed (I personally would prefer cup/cone but that is a personal choice).

    In an ideal world they would weigh somewhere around 1600g but they are so keenly priced they can be used as fit and forget winter wheels.

    They do look okay and I can't see any bad reports. Just seems odd to have a decent wheel at budget wheel prices? Can't help wondering if I'm missing something. They will be being used season long and not just as a winter training wheel, so maybe not ideal from your report.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    But they just look so awful!
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    coriordan wrote:
    But they just look so awful!

    Compared to what?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Alu brake tracks vs carbon
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    Practicality and vanity are separate beasts. Besides which, I won't see them when the wheels are in motion.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • carbon rims with disk hubs.
    On that note, i'll get my coat!
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    carbon rims with disk hubs.
    On that note, i'll get my coat!

    Very helpful. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    carbon rims with disk hubs.
    On that note, i'll get my coat!

    Very helpful. :roll:

    Glad to be of assistance.
  • trek_dantrek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Quattros are a nice solid wheel but they add zero 'aero gainz' and the deep section just adds weight.
    I think if you really want some decent affordable semi aero rims you should look at trying to get some second hand PX CT45's or HED Jet 4's.
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,724
    edited November 2016
    philthy3 wrote:
    Practicality and vanity are separate beasts. Besides which, I won't see them when the wheels are in motion.

    I don't get why in your practicality category you have alloy brake tracks but also have 35mm as a requirement? Do they need to be 35mm or is that really vanity too? I say that because you could spend your budget (if you want to spend all of it) on plenty of great wheels which aren't as tall.

    There's a reason there isn't a massive choice of 35mm deep wheels which alloy brake track, there's not much demand, they don't tend to bring any advantages to the table and the deep section sheep don't want them either for aesthetic reasons.
  • StillGoingStillGoing Posts: 5,207
    mfin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Practicality and vanity are separate beasts. Besides which, I won't see them when the wheels are in motion.

    I don't get why in your practicality category you have alloy brake tracks but also have 35mm as a requirement? Do they need to be 35mm or is that really vanity too? I say that because you could spend your budget (if you want to spend all of it) on plenty of great wheels which aren't as tall.

    There's a reason there isn't a massive choice of 35mm deep wheels which alloy brake track, there's not much demand, they don't tend to bring any advantages to the table and the deep section sheep don't want them either for aesthetic reasons.

    Err no. 35mm offers a decent compromise between being aero and lightweight. That, for me at least, offers practicality. 35mm offers a semi aero profile for speeds of 30kph plus and with the aluminium braking track, braking in wet or dry conditions without having to switch wheels over. Yes full carbon clincher wheels look great, but having had them and experienced the lack of braking in the wet, they're not for me any longer.

    The issue is now closed anyway as I managed to get some Dura Ace 9000 C35s.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
Sign In or Register to comment.