what (if any) camera

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Having been involved in one non fault accident, *which is over 2 yrs old and still ongoing albeit liability sorted due to TP witness giving a statement) and a very near miss this morning (my throat still hurts from the shouting I did which luckily car had their window open so heard and stopped before cutting across me) I'm thinking of getting a camera not interested in go-pro type (too expensive and too many features for my needs and wrong shape want a barrel shape) whats the best safety type camera looking at the road hawk still expensive at £130 also how does looping work? Does it auto stop in the event of crash or would you need to manually stop it from recording over itself?

I only need to to cover the 30 min each way commute ideally mounted on the bars but I guess on the lid it would see what I see ie if looking behind/to the side....

So yeah what be the best option for my needs or is it not worth it and going to antagonist - not looking to post everything up (altho I might have this instance to get an opinion and share) just so can watch back the situation and worse case as evidence.

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Im thinking the same - for the same reasons

2 I have on my shortlist

Contour Roam

Shimano CM1000
  • A camera won't make you any safer ... All it will do is make you think your perspective is the right one ...

Your hard earned though (unlees you get tax credit or childcare vouchers, in which case it's mine) ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    been thinking about this again - already got a go-pro, but tbh, too much faff and obvious.

google ebay keyfob camera - they're available for <£10 ... or just over if you include a memory card ... quality isn't going to be massive and it won't be as slick as the Contour, Shimano, GoPro or other branded camera - but it's a video camera - and tbh, other than waterproofing - get a couple, one under the saddle pointing back and the other on the bars pointing forward - what's the most you lose? £20?
  • Have you considered the Cycliq Fly 6?
    https://cycliq.com/products/fly6?gclid= ... 0wodQrsK_A
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    After testing and making sure it works, you put camera on loop and only watch recordings when a court case happens. Which is, hopefully, never. Safety camera does not need to affect your cycling at all.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I have a Shimano CM-1000 for my commute, bought after some random bloke walked into the middle of the road and tried to kick me off my bike. I just like the reassurance that I may have some evidence if anything dodgy happens.

I had £100 credit with Canyon and a while back they had the CM-1000 reduced to £100, so only cost me about £5 in postage. Thought it was a good buy considering I may have otherwise struggled to use the £100 credit.

Mounts on the handlebar via a generic Go-Pro mount and does the job well. I get a few laughs in the office whenever I look back at a video with comments along the line of "so what did a car driver do to you today?".
  • type:epyt wrote:
    A camera won't make you any safer ... All it will do is make you think your perspective is the right one ...

Your hard earned though (unlees you get tax credit or childcare vouchers, in which case it's mine) ...

I wouldn't bother either. You said you've had one accident and one near miss in two years. Seems like the camera wouldn't of made a difference in either case. I can't see a camera being much use. Most of the footage you see on YouTube of cyclists being cut up or abused arent likely to get much interest from the police.
    I had an Arctic lorry pull out in front of me when I was travelling towards him at around 25mph on a clear day yesterday. Totally stupid thing to do and the closest I've come to crashing for a few years but he didn't appear to give a stuff and neither I doubt would anyone else. I kind of guessed he was going to pull out and prepared myself to take avoiding action. I think you're far better off assuming all other road users are blind and ride accordingly. This way of thinking served me well through nearly 30 years of motorcycling and cycling.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    type:epyt wrote:
    (unlees you get tax credit or childcare vouchers, in which case it's mine) ...

that's a bit unfair, loads of other people pay tax as well, it should be split between us all .... so only about 1/59,000,000 th of it is yours :lol:
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    noodleman wrote:
    A camera won't make you any safer ... All it will do is make you think your perspective is the right one ...

I wouldn't bother either. You said you've had one accident and one near miss in two years. Seems like the camera wouldn't of made a difference in either case. I can't see a camera being much use. Most of the footage you see on YouTube of cyclists being cut up or abused arent likely to get much interest from the police.
    I had an Arctic lorry pull out in front of me when I was travelling towards him at around 25mph on a clear day yesterday. Totally stupid thing to do and the closest I've come to crashing for a few years but he didn't appear to give a stuff and neither I doubt would anyone else. I kind of guessed he was going to pull out and prepared myself to take avoiding action. I think you're far better off assuming all other road users are blind and ride accordingly. This way of thinking served me well through nearly 30 years of motorcycling and cycling.

Why do you insure stuff? You or your loved ones almost never need to claim, so it's pointless, right?!
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025

Don't forget those racist Brexiters as well, they all have 'em. True dat :roll:
  • mamil314 wrote:
    noodleman wrote:

Why do you insure stuff? You or your loved ones almost never need to claim, so it's pointless, right?!

I don't insure stuff other than the things I'm legally required to.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc