Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

11-speed chain tool

secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,836
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Just got my first 11 speed bike (105) - need a chain tool just in case - any recommendations? I might go 11 speed Campag on another bike, does this need a separate tool ("peening"???)

It's just a hill. Get over it.

• grenwgrenw Posts: 788
    Have split a few 11 speed chains with my old Park Tool chain tool. All have been KMC chains but I doubt it makes a difference.
  • trailflowtrailflow Posts: 1,311
    I've succesfully split 11spd KMC chains with my Lezyne 10spd pocket tool. I also dont believe it needs to be 11spd specific to work.

Just use a KMC chain on Campagnolo for less hassle and expense.

If you do go with a Campag chain. You will def need a rivet peening tool. Otherwise the connecting rivet will fail if not peened.
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,724
    On the Campag and Shimano or KMC ones, just use KMC 11-speed missing link and to break the chain you can just use a 10 speed chain tool if you already have one. This is the easiest way.
  • mercia_manmercia_man Posts: 1,391
    I can recommend the Lezyne Chain Drive 11-speed chain tool. This works well at breaking an 11-speed chain and also at peening Campag joining pins. As mfin says, the easiest way is to use a KMC missing link, but having the Lezyne tool also gives you the option of using the Campag approved way of joining.

Although I found it's possible with care to break an 11-speed chain with an old nine-speed tool, a proper 11-speed tool is much better. The pins in 11-speed chain are in very tight and the side plates are very narrow. An 11-speed tool supports the back of the plates which prevents the risk of them being distorted when you press out the pins.
  • I definitely recommend this for when you are out and about:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-rap-14-multitool-y8/
    Chain tool works great but then I find most Lezyne stuff is good quality.
  • dowtchadowtcha Posts: 437
    I just use a park tool brute, small enough to carry. Found it to difficult to beak chains with multi tool chain breaker but that could just be me.