Ex pro Jail Birds

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2016 in Pro race
After the news about Aitor Gonzaler being caught for trying to knock over a mobile phone shop, we now hear Moreno Argentin has got a year prison sentence for what looks like property fraud.

One of the canniest riders - Maybe not such a canny criminal.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bonkers.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • How Ricco has thus far managed to avoid joining them in the clink, is a continuous source of surprise
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I'm sure, given the complexities of the Italian legal system, Argentin won't actually spend any time behind bars. He'll lodge an appeal immediately, which will take about 3 years to be heard, then some kind of plea bargain will be accepted and he'll get off with a fine. That he'll probably never pay.

How about Jonathan Boyer? Famously chased down by his own team-mate, Greg Lemond, at the Goodwood Worlds (not that he would've won anyway) he was later jailed in the US for 'lewd behaviour with a minor'. Redemption was sought by coaching the Rwanda cycling team.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Not a roady but Missy Giove, former DH world champion did time for supplying marijuana.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    How Ricco has thus far managed to avoid joining them in the clink, is a continuous source of surprise

He's under house arrest at Silvio Berlusconi's villa
  • Crozza wrote:
    How Ricco has thus far managed to avoid joining them in the clink, is a continuous source of surprise

He's under house arrest at Silvio Berlusconi's villa

Bunga bunga would be right up Ricco's street
  • Daryl Webster got done for producing Marajuana, I'm not sure if there was any intent to supply charge but he had a load growing. Interesting choice for a someone who is allegedly anti-doping!
  • Daryl Webster got done for producing Marajuana, I'm not sure if there was any intent to supply charge but he had a load growing. Interesting choice for a someone who is allegedly anti-doping!

LOLZ. I did find this very amusing
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Justin Jules (rides for Veranclassic) got done for killing his alcoholic father.

http://www.leparisien.fr/val-d-oise/jus ... 963578.php
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Not a roady but Missy Giove, former DH world champion did time for supplying marijuana.

384lbs. That's a lot eh!
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Chris Jongewaard (Aussie MTB and CX pro) went to jail for a hit and run in which he drove into his training partner who was cycling. Apparently they had both been drinking!!!

Irish ex-pro Mark Scanlon apparently works/worked as a prison officer...
  • There was at least one of the 90s / early 2000s assume track sprint squad that had some run ins with the law.

Cippolini had some tax problems, as did Bettini.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    There was at least one of the 90s / early 2000s assume track sprint squad that had some run ins with the law.

Cippolini had some tax problems, as did Bettini.

Colour me surprised. Tax avoidance in Italy is both illegal and compulsory at the same time.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    I remember a story about TI Raleigh golden boy Johan Van De Velde getting hooked on amphetamines and doing time for stealing lawnmowers to fund his addiction after he retired from racing.
  • John Kline wrote:
    I remember a story about TI Raleigh golden boy Johan Van De Velde getting hooked on amphetamines and doing time for stealing lawnmowers to fund his addiction after he retired from racing.

And breaking into stamp machines!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

shame, Missy always dealt the best weed :-)

Laurent Roux also did jail-time for dealing amphetamines - "just to finance his habit". His mum runs the highly rated but perhaps poorly named "Poule au Pot" restaurant: https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_R ... tanie.html
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme