CX tyres for Diverge?

Phil Mountain
Phil Mountain Posts: 15
edited November 2016 in Cyclocross
I'm currently using Specialized Roubaix Pro 700x25/28c on my 2016 Diverge Comp Smartweld. As they hardly have any off-road grip I nearly came a cropper on a local bridleway the other day. I'm considering changing the tyres for the winter to ones that'll give me more confidence off-road but with as little rolling resistance as possible for road use (Holy Grail). I reckon 35c is the widest I can go. Can anyone recommend a good tyre, folding or not? Cheers.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Conti CX Speed, Schwalbe Land Cruiser, or similar. Both different approaches to the same kind of problem.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Schwalbe G One in 35c, low rolling and plenty of grip for bridleways.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • G-one.
  • I have heard great things about the G one tyres but stocks seem low - I have used the Clement Xlpor MSO in 32mm and they have served me well on commuting and bridle path duties. they are also much less expensive than the Schwalbe tyres and I have just noticed they now come in three sizes, 32mm, 36mm and 40mm - http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso. The Clement USH (?) tyre is another possible alternative which has more of a flat area in the centre and comes in 35mm.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Imposter wrote:
    Conti CX Speed, Schwalbe Land Cruiser, or similar. Both different approaches to the same kind of problem.

Agree but I found the X speed too puncture prone in the rough - good weight & quite fast though. Currently on land cruisers (with a Nano up front but I guess this is too wide for you?) and they seem tough, pretty fast on road but a bit weighty. Landcruisers are also dead cheap. I't try them unless you are racing &/or weight is a big issue for you.

G ones look good, but haven't tried them.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Many thanks for all your replies. All the recommended tyres were on my shortlist. I've decided to go for Challenge Gravel Grinder Plus 33 clinchers after seeing them on the carbon version of my bike in my LBS.
  • G-One. Always G-One. So supple, so lightning fast. I even did Battle on the beach on G-One
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    G-One. Always G-One. So supple, so lightning fast. I even did Battle on the beach on G-One

To be fair, you can do battle on the Beach on slicks. If the G-One is anything like the S-One, then the rate of wear is unacceptable, IMO - especially for the price.
  • Nano's - have these on currently (cheaper wire-bead version) - reasonable value, excellent on gravel, good on singletrack, not great in the mud, and scary on damp tarmac / cyclepaths.

LC's - have been my go-to commuter/mixed-terrain rides for most of the last 3 years - very cheap, durable, roll well enough and good enough grip off-road ... but heavy!

I've tried Smart Sam's, off road grip good but too puncture prone and wear too quickly.

I'll soon be 'looking after' a mate's PX London Road as he goes off travelling for a year, so will probably use this as my commuter (25/28c slicks) and make my Saracen Hack a more dedicated off-road #dirtydropbargoodness bike with bigger, more dedicated off-road rubber ... think I can fit 44c/48c (1.7/1.8in) rubber in there ... :twisted: