29er on CX bike

the_urban_spaceman
the_urban_spaceman Posts: 59
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
Forgive me if this question is beyond stupid but can I run 29er wheels on my CX bike?

For awhile now I've had my eye out for some decent second hand wheels (I have clinchers at the mo and want to go to tubeless - I run disc brakes btw), but either I've been looking in the wrong places or there just aren't many around at all.

Then it dawned on me that 700c and 29inch are the same thing right? Right? In which case can I not go for some of these (of which there are many more selling on (say) eBay.

Advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Yes, they are the same. 29er just tend to be wider and quote the width in inches.
  • Ah thanks mate that's great news. I was worried the hub size would be different or that getting cx tyres to fit the rims would be difficult. Cheers for the reply :D
  • I have 29er wheels on my commuting/bridle path/cyclocross (if I ever get around to entering) bike and they are perfect sizewise. I wouldn't recommend the Halo vapour wheels that I have though, as they have a hub with pawls made of cheese. Less than 12 months use before you need a new set due to slipping... I am using Xplor MSO tyres in 32mm which fit fine but where a bit hard to get on initially.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    So rear hub spacing the same ?? Thought they would be wider at the back?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I bagged a bargain pair of XT hubbed 29er wheels with 29x2.2" tyres fitted and the seller chucked in a pair Conti CX tyres in 35c flavour. Both pairs of tyres are too big for my London Road but for £85 I'm not complaining espeically when I cold the Contis for £30.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I run 29ers too. Mt66. No problems.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    redvee wrote:
    I bagged a bargain pair of XT hubbed 29er wheels with 29x2.2" tyres fitted and the seller chucked in a pair Conti CX tyres in 35c flavour. Both pairs of tyres are too big for my London Road but for £85 I'm not complaining espeically when I cold the Contis for £30.

That's odd, I have a set of Conti CX tyres (which I think are 35) in my PX London Road with loads of clearance.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    MrGrumpy wrote:
    So rear hub spacing the same ?? Thought they would be wider at the back?
    Good point, some hubs may be wider, MTB can be 135 or 142mm. But tyre fitting is the same. For some reason I thought he was asking about tyres. CX are usually 135mm.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    joey54321 wrote:
    That's odd, I have a set of Conti CX tyres (which I think are 35) in my PX London Road with loads of clearance.

Bought the wheels when I had my Kaffenback which was before my London Road which is where my confusion comes in.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.