Extreme gearing 10s 3 x 10 (22-34-44 x 11-34) on cyclocross, front derailleur headache

Iksobarg
Iksobarg Posts: 14
edited October 2016 in Cyclocross
Hello Friends,

My backyard is two mountains. When my Spicy is down for maintenance or what not I want a billy goat of a bike to do what the standard cyclocross gearing could not.

When I started this project I uninitiated in the world of proper gearing and got myself into a pretty steep self induced learning curve in the past year and a half. I moved on from one conundrum to another but now...

In late 2014 I picked up a decent roadbike that within 6 months I realized wasn't able to handle my penchant for offroad, trail travel. Five flats on one ride really did me in. I proceeded to sell it and picked up a cyclocross that the seller was in the process of converting to a graveler. It had Campagnolo ergo which I immediately started swapping out for Shimano road shifters however decided to do the mountain 10s in the rear, which worked out well. However, I got myself into a jam with sticking a mtb 10s 3x crankset up front.

I've got some crazy gearing at the moment:
Xt 10s 22-34-44 up front and Xt 11-36 in the back.

ukLdKnRh.jpg

2uAlGPJh.jpg

So everything is almost fine however I've tried at least 3 other front derailleurs and no dice. Road ones pull from the bottom and simply don't suit the 44 tooth front crank with the exception of the Shimano derailleur that came with it in the first place. It's not perfect, hence I tried many others and then realized it would have to do.
So I've completely hit a wall now as my lbs informed me that they have no derailleur that will work with my frame with that mtb crankset. In getting this derailluer to work I have to add pulley to the frame for the derailleur cable to route though so it can pull the front derailluer from the bottom. I'm

In the beginning when I picked up this cyclocrosser for 150 Euro it was all fun. But now... sorta not happy.
On a ride about two weeks ago I had to stop and switch front gears with my finger. I didn't have the front derailleur on at the time so during the ride some of the big bumps caused the chain to jump down.

I've checked some forum posts and seen nothing related to what I am doing.. and I can only think that it's because it shouldn't be done.

I'm proceeding ahead as I'm too far along and do believe this will end well... that is, just to have a functional front derailluer AND this crazy gearing.
KkLoRFOh.jpg

Stories, opinions? I'm open because I realize I'm a dumbkopf.
NVK9MQqh.jpg

Sincerely
John

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you've found a mech which would otherwise work, but doesn't because the cable pull is downwards, do a Google search for "umlenker". These are little levers, custom made for many mechs, which convert them to top pull. I had one on a SRAM mech a few years ago, and it worked pretty well.
    Pannier, 120rpm.