Campagnolo new speed shifters

11clemevic
11clemevic Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hello every body! :?: :( :roll:
I have a question: I have a Nice olmo bike from 1995 equiped with véloce 8 speed.. I Broke my 8 speed speed shifters in an accident and need to change them.. But the problem is that old and vintage 8 speed speed shifters NOS or in good condition are rare and VERY expensive. Hopfully, I found a lot of campagnolo 9 speed speed shifters, vintage too, from years 1999 to 2003, that are great.. So my question is : would those speed shifters work on a 8 speed bike, cassette... ( from ~1995 )
Thank you for your Help, and excuse me for my english; l'm from switzerland !

Victor

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I think you'll find that the rear shifter will shift 9 but you've an 8 speed cassette so you'd need a new cassette (9 speed).
    Not sure if rear derailleur can do the job of shifting across a 9 speed cassette. A Veloce 9 speed derailleur shouldn't be too expensive.
  • Okey !
    But the problem isn't the 8 speed cassette or the pull of 8 and 9 speed shifters? I mean, why would the rear dearailleur not change all speed ? There aren't 9 to change in reality, but 8 ...
    Don't know
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    11clemevic wrote:
    . I Broke my 8 speed speed shifters in an accident and need to change them.. But the problem is that old and vintage 8 speed speed shifters NOS or in good condition are rare and VERY expensive.
    Victor

I have a set of 8 speed Ergpowers , very old second year , but work perfect (overhault by myself) with new Sachs hoods.
    PM if you are interested, don't want the Nobelprize for them....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    8 speed and 9 speed cable pull os different. Depending on the fault parts may still exist to repair it. The more bits that have been damaged the less chance there is of fixing it. Or buy a broken set and get them fixed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.