Sora fd on 105 group.. Advice

redscouse
redscouse Posts: 157
edited November 2016 in Workshop
After a few offs in ice last winter.. Put together a second hand 5700 105 groupset and am rebuilding my spesh allez fie winter and learning all the time..the 105 came with band on fd but spesh is braze on fd..so have left shamans sora fd on spesh.. Having problems getting it to shift to big ring and then when it does crank hits the derailleur cage on rotation.. Cage seems wider than than the 5800 105 on my other bike..not sure if it is me not finding h limit sweet spot or need to purchase a 5700 105 fd
riding a canyon endurace
spesh allez

Comments

• I think it's more of a sweet spot issue
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless the Sora is for a lower number of speeds, it will be the same width as the 105 FD cage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redscouse
    Yes sora fd was for 8 speed 5700 fd of 10 speed. Difference in cage size/ shape ?
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • The Rookie
    Yes, the 8 speed chain is wider so the distance between the cage plates is wider, making it work with the narrower 10 speed chain will be much harder and may not be possible. Get it right shifting to the bigger ring and it has to move further the other way before it contacts the chain to shift down.

My sons 9 speed had an 8 speed front mech, we could make it work, but literally 1 click either way and the shifting performance degraded a lot, we ended up putting the right one on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redscouse
    Thanks for that rookie.. Off to get a 5700 fd..Cheers
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • Got a 5700 fd from Evans ex display stock for a tenner..works like a charm..ta rookie
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • The Rookie
    Glad it worked out.