Nukeproof Mega - anything to know

fil_b
fil_b Posts: 34
edited November 2016 in MTB general
HI all

first time poster.

Just brought myself a 2014 Nukeproof Mega TR 27.5.

Ordered a pump as i have seen they have air suspension and some have lost pressure when being used.

Anything i need to know? things to do when i get it?

Will be mainly used on Cannock Chase

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Depends on what you want to know. Specifics about the bike, or MTB in general?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What type of pump have you ordered? Hand pump, track pump (both for tyres) or a high pressure pump for the forks and shock?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • fil_b
    i think a bit of both

first propper suspension bike i had. So thats going to be a learning curve.

Tar

phil
  • fil_b
    JBA wrote:
    What type of pump have you ordered? Hand pump, track pump (both for tyres) or a high pressure pump for the forks and shock?

Hand Pump for the shocks

Read a few reports about the rear shock losing preasure.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Think you mean a shock pump.

Well first thing you need to do is set the sag level on the rear shock and set up the front fork.

The previous owner is it a used bike ? Will weigh less or more than you do so you will need to adjust the air pressure in them to suit you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The rear shock is definitely the weak point of the bike. Reliable enough, but rubbish. Way too harsh.
    Cable guide screws are made of cheese (possibly brie) so be very gentle with them and replace them with stainless at the first opportunity.
  • fil_b
    That's cool

Yeah sorry about that. Yeah a shock pump

Speaking with him he was similar build weight etc but yeah I will adjust to suit.

Does it matter if you do the rear or front first?

Thanks for your help tho

Nice to know about the screws to. Where best to look for replacements?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just get some stainless countersunk screws (M5 I think) from your local bolt supplier. There's one in most towns.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Surely he needs through-drilled aluminium screws for cable clamps?[/lycra-clad weight weenie]
  • fil_b
    From a biker on eBay

Prefers his heckler to the nuke

Phil
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Mega tr was always ruined by the Monarch RT3 shock. Fit a Cane Creek DB Inline and it transforms it in to a really brilliant enduro bike. Shame it never fitted me quite right.
  • Good bikes - I have the 26 wheel TR version.
    What do you need to know?
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I've got one, RockmonkeySC is correct, the shocks not the best but mine doesn't feel out of depth on most things. I was hitting all the big stuff my mate was hitting on Sunday on his Evil Insurgent (160mm travel).
    No complaints
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • With the rear shock I think it depends what and how you ride - and also how good of a rider you are.
    The shock works well for me around Cannock - but then I don't hit everything at warp speed or get huge amounts of air.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The main problem with the shock is it's high speed damping is hopeless. It just doesn't respond to high speed, small bumps.
    You'll never notice it at trail centres because of the relatively smooth surface but ride on more natural stuff and it's like a hardtail.
  • fil_b
    I am collecting it saturday so i will have a ride and go from there.

You say the screws are not the best - what would you suggest replacing them with?

thanks

Phil
  • Fil_b wrote:
    I am collecting it saturday so i will have a ride and go from there.

You say the screws are not the best - what would you suggest replacing them with?

thanks

Phil

The bolts on mine have been fine - I used decent quality ball-end allen keys and didn't over tighten them.
    I'd suggest you see what state they're in when you get it and then decide if they need replacing.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I've not had a issue with the cable clip bolts but the one near the weld for the rear shock mount is terrible to access and would be one that's likely to round off.