Brifter adjustment screw problems

Flyer1210
Flyer1210 Posts: 3
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I've just got a new Giant Defy 0 with Ulterga brifters and and the reach adjustment screws seem to be made of putty. I used the proper sized screwdriver but the screws have just disintegrated. There's barely a slot on the screws left and I'm afraid of trying anymore in case I totally ring them.

I'm wondering if its possible to screw them right out and get replacements? If not I guess I'll stick with the current reach. I can't believe how soft the metal is in these. A hex screw surely would have been a better job.

Comments

• Wrong tool.
  • Not sure I get you? Its a flat bladed screw driver.

Anyway should have searched a bit more. I see now you can buy replacement screws. They also seem to be made of plastic which would make sense in them being like putty.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Usually when the designers use some kind of plastic/composite screws there is a good reason such as using a metal screw would damage the stop surface or ?? I can't say for sure though so have a good look at how the screw sits in the mechanism before switching to metal. If you were trying to turn the screw with the lever resting against the stop surface try squeezing the lever while turning the screw to take the pressure off.
  • Flyer1210 wrote:
    Not sure I get you? Its a flat bladed screw driver.

Anyway should have searched a bit more. I see now you can buy replacement screws. They also seem to be made of plastic which would make sense in them being like putty.

Not all flat bladed screwdrivers are equal.
    Having worked in the electronic servicing industry for years, I certainly learnt that close enough is not good enough for plastic screws.