Older DI2 to 11 speed in 2016

mx5mojo
mx5mojo Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Due to a broken hanger that broke my 6770 rear derailleur I was left with no choice but to upgrade to 11 speed DI2. So the good news is the internet is full of information to help you do this. The bad news is lots of it is very old and most of it no longer applies so be wise (unlike me) and check the dates on any info. I am posting this to hopefully help others.

I read you could just buy the RD-6870 as long as you had the old firmware in your system. So I ordered the RD-6870, cassette and chain (my wheels already have an 11 speed hub). Installed it and nothing. More searching online and I found due to new firmware in the RD-6780 you now have no choice but to also install the FD-6870 and you will then be good.

I got the FD-6870 installed and still nothing. So more searching and I find even with a new FD and RD you have to update all the firmware on the whole system but you can do this with an SM-BCR2. Ordered it

That arrived unpacked it and saw the connector on it does not fit on an older system with an external battery. So now as I understand it I will need the SM-PCE1 to update the firmware. I would take it to the shop but we do have 2 other DI2 bikes so I would like to upgrade the firmware in all of them.

So for others who will like me have no choice but to upgrade to an 11 speed this is what I currently believe you need if you have an older external battery DI2 setup

11 speed Hub
11 speed Cassette
11 speed Chain
FD-6870
RD-6870
SM-PCE1 or a LBS willing to upgrade the system for you. As you will need to update all firmware.

If I am wrong someone please tell me as this is starting to bug the crap out of me.

Comments

• clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Yip you need the SM-PC1E in order to make the firmware compatible. For a short time when they first came out you could just change the rear mech but this is no longer an option as parts started being shipped with the newer firmware.

I have had one of these units for a few years and it's a doddle to use. Very good for setting up systems and diagnosing problems. There are more functions available with this unit than the SM-BCR2. Best price I can see at the moment is Merlin.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sm ... 1b10975d4c
  • Update: I received my SM-PCE1 and after updating all firmware everything is now working. However I had to upgrade each unit separately as the only place I can see to hook into the whole system is on the shifters. And I could not figure out for the life of me how get the plug in there.

Anyone got any tips for connecting the cable to the shifter?
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Ignore that, I didn't read it properly.

Do the older shifters not have 3 ports to plug stuff into?
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    The older 6770 shifters have only 2 ports for connection.

The unused port on the shifter has a cap on it, this can be removed with the shimano tool or a small screwdriver. The port will lever outwards to enable connection, You may need to get something in behind it to angle it but it will come out of the channel enough to get the plug in.
  • Thank you for the info. I could not figure out how to connect to the handlebars