Call himself a cyclist?

thesquireofbanwell
thesquireofbanwell Posts: 132
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
Perhaps members may wish to peruse this and offer their opinion;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -stop.html
I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2

Comments

• Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Well.....
    Yes he deserved the fine.
    And yes, cyclists are very unpopular amongst a large percentage of none cyclists.
    Not nice to hear it spelled out by a judge, but its not as if it isn't true. :(
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    His body fat % is way too high and he's riding a hybrid, he's not a cyclist, he's a bloke who rides a bike. Are those reflectors?!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Magistrate...
    'People do not like cyclists, and you are doing nothing to enhance their reputation.'

A bit of a generalisation I thought, but we know where the magistrate stands on this.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Daily Wail people. Two things they like...sweeping generalisations and negative stories about cyclists. The last one gets them more site hits and their comments go crazy batsh1t with anti cyclists (unless they don't allow comments for this).

So now that makes me interested in the reasons anyone thinks it a good idea to post a link to such daily wail, cycling click bait on a cycling forum. What have we learnt by this DM article? Guy.did wrong, guy got caught, guy admitted misdemeanor, magistrate.made obvious if inappropriate/slightly inflammatory comment and guy got fined according to the law. Is it really worth supporting the daily wail' s online advertising income by posting this thread?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Is it really worth supporting the daily wail' s online advertising income by posting this thread?
    No, when I saw it was the Fail I didn't click. What did he do? Can you summarise so people don't need to click?
  • HaydenM wrote:
    His body fat % is way too high and he's riding a hybrid, he's not a cyclist, he's a bloke who rides a bike. Are those reflectors?!

Looks like his body fat % is lower than mine. But I bet my Strava times are better. Such a quandary.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Is it really worth supporting the daily wail' s online advertising income by posting this thread?
    No, when I saw it was the Fail I didn't click. What did he do? Can you summarise so people don't need to click?

He cut infront of a police car - then rode off through some red lights, pavements etc etc and refused to stop for a while...
    He's an investment banker living in an expensive house in London with a hybrid.

He appologised for his error, has taken a cycling course and turned up to the magistrates court without representation and admitted his error - appologising to the court and the officers.

http://road.cc/content/news/209417-peop ... lice-chase

[opinion]yup - he was a bit of a dick ... but the magistrate went too far in her generalistation that people don't like cyclists - Chair of the Bench, Catherine Hobey-Hamsher doesn't speak for me or anyone I know - she has no mandate to speak like that and should be dealt with by the bench for her statement - the risk is that she shares that opinion of cyclists and it has clouded her judgement in this case.[/opinion]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    HaydenM wrote:

Looks like his body fat % is lower than mine. But I bet my Strava times are better. Such a quandary.

Maybe his is around 17% but it's hard to tell without him telling me repeatedly. I would bet money on your strava times beating his, how the hell does he expect to have a good aero position on that thing?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Am I the only one thinking that the size of the fine seems somewhat disproportionate when compared to those handed out for killing a cyclist?
  • What sort of a thing is it to say "people don't like cyclists"?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Magistrate...
    'People do not like cyclists, and you are doing nothing to enhance their reputation.'

A bit of a generalisation I thought, but we know where the magistrate stands on this.

I read that totally differently. To me he's saying the majority of people have it in for cyclists and this bloke has done nothing to improve their perception.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Tashman wrote:
    Am I the only one thinking that the size of the fine seems somewhat disproportionate when compared to those handed out for killing a cyclist?

Yepp, compare and contrast:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ies-290556
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

My point exactly
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    So when magistrates say that everyone hates cyclists, they obviously include themselves. It does get depressing reading some horror stories in the press and thinking about all the impact to lives...and the triviality of the excuses trotted out again and again which somehow manage to convince the juries and judges that killing cyclists just seems to be one of those unavoidable things that happen in life...but thankfully just to cyclists :-(
  • dinyull
    The magistrate didn't say "everyone" hates cyclists, they said "people" don't like cyclists.

I'd say that's a pretty fair summery tbh.
    It is a silent danger, coming up behind people - they have no idea.

And, above all, it diminishes the really rather low esteem cyclists already have.

People do not like cyclists, and you are doing nothing to enhance their reputation.
  • slowbike
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Depends what the level of the fine is based on ..

£400 is a lot of money for some people
    £2-3k could be what an investment banker spends in an evening entertainment ...

I'm happy if the amount of the fine is proportional to income.
  • slowbike
    Dinyull wrote:
    The magistrate didn't say "everyone" hates cyclists, they said "people" don't like cyclists.

And, above all, it diminishes the really rather low esteem cyclists already have.

People do not like cyclists, and you are doing nothing to enhance their reputation.

Silent danger ... so no cyclist calls out or rings their bell when approaching a pedestrian ... not a single one - even on a shared path?
    Her opinion is that cyclists are held in low esteem ... whilst I'm sure there is a significant proportion of the population who feel that way, I'm not aware of any research to establish the level of feeling.
    Anyway - if you're diminishing the low esteem - that's making it less - so now it's not so low esteem? ;)

People do not like cyclists - that's the one I have an issue with.
  • dinyull
    Slowbike wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:

Silent danger ... so no cyclist calls out or rings their bell when approaching a pedestrian ... not a single one - even on a shared path?
    Her opinion is that cyclists are held in low esteem ... whilst I'm sure there is a significant proportion of the population who feel that way, I'm not aware of any research to establish the level of feeling.
    Anyway - if you're diminishing the low esteem - that's making it less - so now it's not so low esteem? ;)

People do not like cyclists - that's the one I have an issue with.

But she's talking about someone who's cut up a police car and ran red lights to get away from them. I'd doubt he's been using a bell to warn peds as he's trying to get away from the police haha.