Whinlatter on a CX bike

graemevet
graemevet Posts: 61
edited November 2016 in Routes
As above really, heading to Whinlatter next week and wondering if its ok on a CX bike or would I need to take the MTB?

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I done Glentress blue on a cx bike recently, was great fun. Then straight after I went round the red route on my mtb, was more fun.

Use a mountain bike for mountain biking, unless you feel like you've got something to prove.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've done it numerous times on 150mm and 170mm FS(well overbiked) and 130mm/150mm HTs(still felt overbiked) and plan to give it a go on my CX next time I'm up there.
    Personally I think it'll be a bit hit and miss on the CX but I no longer have any MTBs so it's that or nowt.I've done Cutgate(Peak District) on the CX so don't foresee any real issues.
    I reckon a 100-120mm HT is the perfect weapon for that Trail.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I rode whinlatter on my 140mm hardtail and loved it.

why anyone would want to ride any mtb trail on a CX bike is beyond me?!

I rode FoD last week and a guy over took me on a cx bike on one of the smoother flatter bits. I smashed past him on the final descent (the good bit) later on. why spoil the only reason you ride up the hills for by not being able to go flat out on the descents?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    welshkev wrote:

I rode FoD last week and a guy over took me on a cx bike on one of the smoother flatter bits. I smashed past him on the final descent (the good bit) later on. why spoil the only reason you ride up the hills for by not being able to go flat out on the descents?
    I've had MTBs for 30-odd years and started on a rigid ATB.I sold my FS in 2014 as I was bored riding the stuff in the Peak/Lakes so used my HT instead.Sold HT in Feb and decided to just have a Road and CX bike.The CX is still a far better bike than my old rigid ATB and it's fun on the trails.
    I don't particularly like trail centres but the CX will be much more fun than my 170mm travel NP Mega I'm sure.Just my opinion and depends on the rider.Started seeing more CX bikes on the natural stuff in the Peak lately so I'm not alone!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ibbo68 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I've had MTBs for 30-odd years and started on a rigid ATB.I sold my FS in 2014 as I was bored riding the stuff in the Peak/Lakes so used my HT instead.Sold HT in Feb and decided to just have a Road and CX bike.The CX is still a far better bike than my old rigid ATB and it's fun on the trails.
    I don't particularly like trail centres but the CX will be much more fun than my 170mm travel NP Mega I'm sure.Just my opinion and depends on the rider.Started seeing more CX bikes on the natural stuff in the Peak lately so I'm not alone!

Weirdos ;)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Using a CX / gravel bike is like an early 1990's rigid mountain bike except you have brakes that actually work. You take a pounding over the rough stuff but once it smooths out you can really move. My Gravel bike is minutes faster than my xc MTB round the trail at the local reservoir.

A rough guide is if you need body armour of any kind don't use a CX bike.