Hardtail with a more aggressive approach

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,
Okay I'm looking buy a hardtail at the end of November and currently have no idea what to get. I'm looking to ride Cannock Chase and mainly the local trails to me which are what I'd describe aggressive cross country too jumps and steep desents and assents. There are some technical parts to them.

So I'm looking for a bike with at least 120mm travel (rock shox preferably and air sprung), 27.5 wheel size, and a short stem. Also I have quite broad shoulders so 740 maybe more width of bars is preferable with some rise to them. So basically a bike that has geometry that's quite up and not too cross country orientated.

I have a budget of around £700 give or take. And have no preference on brand. I've asked around at bike shops for recommendations however they all seem to
say different things! If anyone has any thoughts it'd be very much appreciated as I don't have any idea what to get currently!
Thank you

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a smidge over your budget, but I'd take a look at the OnOne 45650b:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650X5 ... ntain-bike

It has 'contempary' geometry ie is long, low and slack head angle with short stem and wide bars for stabilty and control on the downs and rough stuff. Don't often see a RockShox motion control equipped air fork either at this price. Add in a quality wheelset and sub 30lb weight (good for a steel bike at this price) and you have a top value, high performing package. The X5 drivetrain is a bit basic maybe, but it will do the trick, if not quite as slick as alternatives.
  • willmtb
    willmtb Posts: 69
    supersonic wrote:
    It's a smidge over your budget, but I'd take a look at the OnOne 45650b:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650X5 ... ntain-bike

It has 'contempary' geometry ie is long, low and slack head angle with short stem and wide bars for stabilty and control on the downs and rough stuff. Don't often see a RockShox motion control equipped air fork either at this price. Add in a quality wheelset and sub 30lb weight (good for a steel bike at this price) and you have a top value, high performing package. The X5 drivetrain is a bit basic maybe, but it will do the trick, if not quite as slick as alternatives.
    That's great I'll definitely look into that bike, looks
    Ideal for what im looking for! Could be a touch over budget though.