Child passenger

Sillybillysara
Sillybillysara Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi all. I have a shopper bike and a yepp seat for my tall 4 year old with the foot rest. As we speak I'm sat at the fracture clinic and I feel so god dam awful. As I crossed over on the green man, my little boys foot got wrapped around the spokes. He was screaming, it was dark and I couldn't see, luckily some passerbys was able to coax his poor foot out.I'm
So careful and cautious on my bike when I'm carrying my child, but why on earth didn't I see this coming?? I'm so wrapped up with guilt that I allowed my boy to get hurt and that MYSELF caused this due to lack of common sense/safety.

(Little lad just been seen to)

He has a tiny fracture, just waiting for them to cast his ankle. God I can't stop crying. Can't believe I caused pain to my little boy....

(Got cast on now) what a brave boy he is... He's ok now he can't see his cuts, surprisingly he still says he likes the bike. Last night when it happened I trawled the Internet for some sort of a spoke guard. I won't have a skirt guard as it looks flimsy. As this has happened I would want to be reassured they would be no spoke injuries. Several people have said about children with spoke related injuries and just wondered how people carry biggish children on a bike. Got a trailer but too many posts to dodge, as well as people lol and as a rule I don't go on roads with a child. Wish I'd done my research on carrying children on a bike.

Comments

• First off I hope your lad gets better soon and isn't in pain,

Second, don't beat yourself up over this. Sh1t happens and kids always bounce back. TBH it's not your fault. If such an accident (and it is an accident) happens so much then it's a design issue IMHO. It could very easily have been designed out.

http://www.yepp.nl/en/accessory/yeppie-feet/

This is what Yepp sell for this issue. Just make a seat that doesn't allow this to.happen in the first off.

I can't really.help but we use a Hamax Siesta which has the legs inside a guard we also use the straps to keep his feet tied in a bit. It's a safe design by a Norwegian company. I highly rate it. We have a poncho (hood is too floppy though) and the u shaped neck roll. It fixes to the shoulder straps and is very.comfortable. Doesn't bother him when awake and when he drops off he doesn't get a crook in his neck.

Personally the yepp mini looks a bad design. The maxi isn't much better IMHO,
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    First off I hope your lad gets better soon and isn't in pain,

Second, don't beat yourself up over this. Sh1t happens and kids always bounce back.

and in the coming year's he'll doubtless have other accidents and survive ... I did ...and 40+years on my mum still says "remember when I" .... and starts on guilt trips! (Fractured collar bone at age 4 .... first of many and wouldn't change it for the world)