long cage v short cage mech

emo147
emo147 Posts: 27
edited November 2016 in MTB general
Apart from one being long and the other being short what's the difference between long and short cage rear mechs and the advantages of one over the other? I have always had long cage mechs and was thinking of going for a short next time and just wondering if it's worth doing so.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    it's to do with gear ratios and what range of cogs you have on your cassette. also whether you run single, double or even triple on the front.

I have a short cage zee mech running am 11-36 cassette and a 32t single ring.

the 36t is at it's limit for running a short cage mech IIRC
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've seen Zee short cage used on an 11-42 but its marginal (don't use on an FS) they seem to be fine on an 11-40 (both 1x of course, they don't have the capacity for a second chainring).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The longer the cage the greater the range of the cage to respond to the slack in the chain, as I understand it, without either the chain pulling "tight" in the lowest gear (biggest rear cog) or being so slack that the cage doubles back on itself in the highest gear (smallest rear cog).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Google well quickly give you a very thorough (or brief if you want) answer to this question. It's been answered many times on many forums.

I'm not saying don't ask questions on a forum, after all that's what they're for, but a lot of the basic technical stuff has been covered many times.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    emo147 wrote:
    Apart from one being long and the other being short what's the difference between long and short cage rear mechs and the advantages of one over the other? I have always had long cage mechs and was thinking of going for a short next time and just wondering if it's worth doing so.

Tell us what size chainring(s) you have and the range of your cassette, and we'll tell you what you can get away with.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er